Advertisements

International Relocation

Pure Portugal

It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:58 pm 

Justin Beiber was home schooled.

He seems to have all the skills he needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:43 am 

I will not attempt to tackle the lack of logic of this post, but Justin Bieber (not Beiber) attended school in Canada until he was "discovered". After he began working and touring, he was tutored, which is a very different matter from "home-schooled".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:08 pm 

Oh No! I made a speeling error. My God! Must be because I was home schooled. Or perhaps it was a typing errror - made because I was school-schooled.

Lack of logic? That is exactly why I posted it.

and the logic of saying home schooling is/is not good by how the children "turned out" or by how the parents taught??? - or by knowing all about the children´s social needs without knowing the child. All Totally illogical and judgmental and unsupportive of the choices parents have to make. Until you have walked a mile.................

I have done both, home schooling one child and school-schooling the other because they had different needs and different circumstances, and no-one on the outside looking in would know any of those. Both are now in their 30´s living successful happy lives and I couldn´t be prouder of them. And if they weren´t, that would not necessarily be a comment on their schooling or my parenting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:58 am 

My apologies, Madeira. Sometimes it is difficult to pick up on a "tone of voice" in the written word, and I really did fear that someone was trying to make a pointless point.

I agree with you that sometimes home schooling can be a viable - or only - option. I only find it problematic when it is undertaken by the inept, when its purpose is to promote narrow-minded values, or when (usually) women who would prefer some independence are pressured into doing it and deprived of personal choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:03 pm 

vicarni wrote:
I only find it problematic when it is undertaken by the inept, when its purpose is to promote narrow-minded values...

As one can frequently find with schools.

Post subject: Home Schooling
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:15 pm 

Getting back onto the subject:

We tried our son in 4 different schools and he took to none of them. Nothing against the school nor the language problem, although the school teachers are 'matrons' and extremely strict even with 4 year olds or younger.

If left on his own, our son would cause disruption. If we were there the teacher wasn't happy, so there was no solution but to home school.

Our son is loved everywhere he goes. He is extremely sociable, gets on increadibly well with other children and is up to the standard he should be according to the information I read on the internet. In fact, some of the PC based teaching he is ahead of for his age.

I simply wrote to the local education to say that we will not continue registration at the school and that he will be educated under the English system.

Having only just turned 6, the Portuguese school age, we have yet to find out any consequences of this decision.

Home schooling should be down to the needs of the child. Most children enjoy schools but our child receives no benefit and it is infact detrimental to his well being and that of the other children in the school for him to attend and therefore that is no education whatsoever.

It may change in the future and if so our son may attend school.

In it's place, he goes swimming and the intention is to go to football training, join the bombeiros as a volunteer (me included) and other activities through the library.

Whilst he does suffer a little from the lack of other children around during the day (he's a single child), he does not suffer from the inability to integrate socially and in fact, is just simply adored by adults and children who meet him so he's not suffering from inapt social skills.

Home schooling or sending to a local school is down to each individual child's needs - it's as simple as that.

Post subject: Re: Home Education
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:07 am 

I have inquired a little and this is what I have learned about homeschooling in Portugal:

You will have to register the child in the public system, as it is not allowed to homeschool in private schools.

When you do the enrollment, choose the Homeschooling option (Ensino Doméstico), by signaling with an "x" in the proper place. That is all you have to do.

Then, you'll have the exams, four equivalencies, at the end of each cycle, not each school year. So the child will have to apply, as an external student, when he is in 4th, 6th, 9th, and 12th grade.

Probably, as this is now going through revision, you'll have to present to the school some portfolio. It is not expected to be something very structured or with school-like language, but just as an assurance that the child in not in "educational abandonment". It is not compulsive, by now, but it will be soon.