Advertisements

Architect Your Home

International Removals

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Podengo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:31 am 
Site Admin

Lovely lovely dogs. We had a mutt who was part Podengo.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:46 pm 

and he is sitting next me in the garden at this very moment Simon as i sip a glass of chilled red,they really are great little buggers,i am still waiting for new camara or smart phone so i can take photos,xmas came and went without broke our camara on wifes birthday two years ago trying to get up garden path after rather heavy party wife fell over first then i went over top of here and camara found next morning smashed,tell emma i promise to get some picks soon ,Wookie is great really well but not to pleased about stray beagle puppie that we have taken in just a few weeks ago,
dont know if we will be able to keep him we will see.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:27 am 
Site Admin

WOOKIE DOG!! Glad to hear you and the family are well.

Emma will be extremely happy to see some pics!

xx

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:20 pm 

In our experience, Podengos are cracking dogs. We have a rescue ex-hunting pequeno Podengo (the only size of three recognised in UK and US as registered breed, I believe). From what you've described you would like, sounds like you want a full size, original type wire coat pequeno. I say this because, all the web searches for breed criteria from UK and US describe them as being 4-5kg, but our vet is adamant that ours is a pure Podengo pequeno (be it a bit of wire mixed in with the smooth!) and ours was underweight at 7.5kg when we got him. She says a proper, original Podengo should be between 9-10kg, and he is now 9.5kg and looks great at his correct weight. I guess the specially bred 'show' types have been bred smaller for market requirements maybe. Anyway, we love to bits our full-size, purposeful little bundle of joy. He is so loving (vet says that's typical) still playful and puppy-ish at 18 mths/2yrs but not an uncontrollable monster...in the house!! On walks, no chance of letting him off the lead - he would be off like a shot, maybe inherent in the breed or maybe just because he was previously used for hunting...probably why he got lost and found himself a lovely, new family and a warm sofa :-) They are, after all, classed as hounds and not terriers, so maybe the hunt instinct is strong. We are usually greyhound/lurcher owners and just the same, would have to be very careful letting them off the lead. However, he is very intelligent, so that might improve, and he was amazingly quick to housetrain, especially considering he probably lived outside previously. Only a couple of accidents at the beginning. Also, although he's got plenty of energy on walks, like our others hounds, he's actually pretty laid back at home, just one good walk a day and he's happy.
Hope that helps. Go on, give a proper size rescue a chance, not a miniature, dandified one :-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:03 pm 

Thanks,
yes, we don't really mind which type is the breed (i.e. small or médio), its the physical size of the dog - not too big but not too small - just right :)
I personally don't want a miniature dog but also not too big for boat car etc
A large pequeno would be great as I get the idea that they are more cuddly in form than the médio.
I have heard that as hounds they are very hunt instinct controlled and letting off lead can be a problem. A breeder told me that was trainable though.
My last dog was half (beagle/lab) mix & half Portuguese street dog (which prob had podengo in). She was very easily distracted when off lead, but would come back sometimes more sooner than eventually - not an off the lead anywhere near roads dog tho. I guess I wasn't very good at training :)

Actually I can see that we will go the shelter when the time comes and all my engineering practicality will be outvoted by the rest of the family anyway :)

Over 20 years experience
My wife, Teresa Sutherland
teresa.sutherland@clinicadashoras.pt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:17 pm 

Hi bife,could i ask you to consider looking at charlie the beagle that turned up in our village just before christmas he is about 12 to 15 months old ,unfortunately wookie our male podengo is being mr grumpy and very protective to nina our other podengo,,
he is good on and off lead but for some reason he is very scared of traffic and shies away when a car passes,we have had him neutered as nina is a not and we did not want any problems,vet gave him clean bill of health,i will try and get photo of him but i have no camara so will have to ask someone to take one for me ,happy to bring him to where ever you are to met him
Nigel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:23 pm 

Hi Nigel,

Sorry, can't help you on that one.

Hope you manage to find someone

Leigh

Over 20 years experience
My wife, Teresa Sutherland
teresa.sutherland@clinicadashoras.pt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:42 pm 

ok Leigh thanks for reply

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Wookie was hit by a car when he was young.

Profile   WWW