Advertisements

Architect Your Home

Removals and Storage to Portugal

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:05 pm 

Hi I have family with property in Spain and when they return to the uk they have to have a tic treatment done in Spain on their dog just before they leave.
We are bringing our Jack Russel for the first time in spring 2018 Do any of you know if a similar condition of travel applies to dogs visiting Portugal?

Thanks in anticipation.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:14 am 

It's usually a worm treatment tablet before returning to the UK.

120 hrs before departure from Portugal and not less than 24 hrs it must be administered by the vet and date and time stamped into the pet passport.It must also include name of vet, address, telephone number.

It's advisable to make the vet appointment as soon as you get to Portugal so that you are guaranteed to meet the correct deadline.

FROM THE UK
You must have the dog micro chipped. You must have a pet passport.Your dog must have had a rabies vaccination (or booster) after the passport has been issued and wait 21 days to travel. This must be recorded in the pet passport-dated/timed/expiry date.

NB:
From France the vet has to check the dog's general health/appearance and sign/date/time a section in the pet passport to say the dog is fit for travel. I don't know if Portugal insists on this.

http://mixedabilityme.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:01 pm 

As above but just to add:-
The section asking whether the pet is fit to travel is aimed at those transporting animals as a commercial operation. I queried this with DEFRA because each time we travelled the vet filled in that section and we ran out of spaces in that section before the worming treatment section. The vet still fills it in, but the new passports have more spaces in all sections anyway.
Tick treatment is no longer needed but I reckon it's still worth having done .

All the info is on the DEFRA website
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Driving to Portugal - Our Way

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:36 pm 

Yes, no compulsory tick treatment for return to UK, only wormer and check over plus passport completed by PT vet to confirm. Your UK vet will probably recommend covering for at least ticks during time in PT though. When ours only holiday-ed here, they had Advocate and Advantix. Now living here (central PT) our PT vet recommends protecting against ticks and sand flies (leishmaniasis) so they just have Advantix.
We haven't travelled ours back to UK in a couple of years but sure I read that blood test following rabies vac no longer required nor delay before vaccinated animal can leave UK, but there is a time period following rabies vac before pet can return to UK. I think...
120 hours/5 days maximum 24 hrs minimum for vet check on return relates to date/time pet will re-enter UK, I believe.
As suggested, check it all out on Defra website.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:52 pm 

Rabies must be valid and as already stated worm tablet must be given by a vet, it is vital that it is recorded in passport by vet------- date AND time, vet must state that dog is fit to travel, and dog must have a micro chip, this is scanned at port.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:06 pm 

As I've already said...............

'You must wait 21 days after the initial rabies vaccination before your pet can leave the UK to travel to another E.U country. After the first vaccination and waiting period, you can leave enter the UK whenever you want- just be sure to keep up to date with the booster vaccinations.'

http://mixedabilityme.blogspot.com/