Advertisements

Architect Your Home

Removals and Storage to Portugal

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dog control
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:00 pm 

I love dogs, grew up on a farm with a lot etc
However walking my my village is very stressful, every second house has 2-3 that are aggressive but usually locked behind fences. But there are also quite a few loose, at least some of which seem stray.
I've now had to defend myself twice from small packs that have actually attacked rather than just threatened to do so. (All I'm doing is walking down public roads, I turn and face them down if they attack rather than running away, but when there 4-5 they are quite bold).

I thought I'd go and ask at the local Camara about this situation, but communication is an issue despite them being very kind and helpful, so some prior knowledge would be appreciated for those in the know please. So any help around the following would be appreciated please...

Do dogs have to be licensed and should they have a collar and tag with owner details?
Is there usually a dog control officer or similar in each area?
Is there usually a reporting approach to take that they appreciate?
(I was thinking of taking pictures of them and noting down the place on a map).

Any help for me and the dogs appreciated please...

Post subject: Re: Dog control
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:43 am 

PortofaKiwi wrote:

> Is there usually a dog control officer or similar in each area?
Yes - the Câmara, or the GNR. The Câmara should have a dog catcher and kennel for these dogs.
> Is there usually a reporting approach to take that they appreciate?
> (I was thinking of taking pictures of them and noting down the place on a
> map).
It will be accepted, but probably not be acted upon
>
> Any help for me and the dogs appreciated please...
Take a stick and a loud voice with you. Portuguese dogs are afraid of humans (guess why)
New laws were passed last year, but are unlikely to be enforced.

All dogs are supposed to be chipped, vaccinated and registered with the Junta. They should be on a lead or with a muzzle. There are fines which can be imposed if the GNR decide to check the papers of dog owners instead of those of car drivers.

You should not feed feral dogs. If you you may be considered their owner and will need to chip and vaccinate them.

It is recognised that there is a big problem with feral dogs, but so far the official response has only been only, laws and not action.

I have a dog which I walk every day. From time to time my regular routes are closed by such dogs. Sometimes , but not always, it is because a bitch is on season, and the male ferals are attracted,

Kindness towards animals in Portugal is a relatively new concept. It is catching on, but like racial intolerance in N Europe, will take a generation or more to be resolved. I freely admit to some racial prejudice, but that is how I was brought up, and it will most likely never go away. The same applies to animal treatment here in Portugal.

Alan

Profile   WWW