Advertisements

Storage Express

Pure Portugal

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:56 pm 

Came across a smaller 1 the other day and then what I'm assuming must be the Boyfriend......

Due to its size of easily 2m am thinking Montpellier ??

Don't mind wildlife but am thinking this fella is rather on the large side to have slithering around the garden - even the toughest of my 5 dogs couldn't life him when she discovered it hence how it ended up the olive tree.

Does anyone know of any way to get help in moving them along? From what I have read apparently April/May is "courting time" and then up to 20 eggs can be laid to then hatch out 50 days later. I really don't think I can cope with a whole family of them ¬!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:05 pm 

have look at my facebook page photo i posted today ...to see the result of tackling one of these beast !!!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/stephendmckay
Steve Douglas Mckay

Member of Civil Protection Forest Fires Service

Profile   WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:13 pm 

Can't see your wall only info page, but you have me worried now for the dogs who are only small !! I have no intention of going anywhere near it but know that the dogs will sniff it out every time !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:27 pm 

ok ...
hope this works :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/i]

according to everyone around here , they only have fangs at the back , yet this was def a front fanged beast !! . and others i have spoken to have also seen front fanged snakes out here in PT.

Profile   WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 pm 

OUCH !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:38 pm 

Ouch indeed Kirsten......
strange thing is Ness got stung by a bee today as well and that is causing more grief than my bite !!.
although my hand is now a lot more purple than in that pic from earlier today ....

Profile   WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:38 pm 

You are so lucky . . . I love snakes and spend my life looking for them . . . haven't seen one yet . . .

Just shows, as J K Jerome would say, 'The natural cussedness of life'.

By the way. . . I woudn't 'tackle' any snake . . . I just want to see them . . .

We do have them . . . as people who come and stay see them . . . just proves, again, the above . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:58 am 

the arborist wrote:
ok ...
hope this works :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/i]

according to everyone around here , they only have fangs at the back , yet this was def a front fanged beast !! . and others i have spoken to have also seen front fanged snakes out here in PT.

All snakes have lots of teeth. When you say fangs you mean teeth that inject venom ? Yes in montpelliers the teeth that produce the venom are in the rear of the mouth.

I don't know the story as to how you got bitten, but generally speaking you would have to try to pick one up to get a bite. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone.

For those that are snake phobic I think also it is worth remembering that the average pet cat can do alot worse than the bite in that pic ! Plus you are much more likely to get bitten by a cat than a snake !

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:04 am 

Kirsten wrote:

Came across a smaller 1 the other day and then what I'm assuming must be the Boyfriend......

Due to its size of easily 2m am thinking Montpellier ??

Don't mind wildlife but am thinking this fella is rather on the large side to have slithering around the garden - even the toughest of my 5 dogs couldn't life him when she discovered it hence how it ended up the olive tree.

Does anyone know of any way to get help in moving them along? From what I have read apparently April/May is "courting time" and then up to 20 eggs can be laid to then hatch out 50 days later. I really don't think I can cope with a whole family of them ¬!

yes prob is a montpellier. If you have seen a couple then clearly you are in a good area for them. You have nothing to worry about. All you can do is to avoid doing anything that would attract their food. So if you are putting bird food for example out that could be attracting rodents that would attract them. But generally there is nothing you can do to repel them. Ignoring them is the best option. Trying to hassle them is when people get bitten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:52 am 

Well I'm sorry but I, for one, would probably sh*t myself if I saw that! It looks HUGE!

I can completely understand the desire to 'move it on' too. If it is comfortable on your land/property, I'm sure pets (and children alike) are at risk of confrontation with it (I know for a fact that my 7yo would want it as a pet! :roll: )

I hope you find a satisfactory answer.

http://handsinportugal.wordpress.com/

Profile   WWW