Advertisements

International Relocation

International Removals

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A22 Via Verde police
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:42 pm 

Has anyone experienced a pull by the Via Verde "Police" in one of the A22 service areas, if so - how did it go? Particular reference to non-PT vehicles.

Post subject: Re: A22 Via Verde police
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:50 am 

I was told the other day that its against the law to drive a vehicle from another country if you hold a Portuguese residencia. They are enforcing this and if you don't have recidencia are applying the 90 day rule.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:28 pm 

Just noticed this about the 90 day rule. Unsure what this is. I understand that as a non resident I am allowed to keep my UK plated car in Portugal for up to 183 days in any calendar year. Any advice would be most welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:54 am 

If you're in Portugal for more than 90 days you're supposed to register your residency in Portugal and, AFAIK, once you've done that you're not allowed to drive a non-Portuguese car.

To be non-resident and allowed to use a foreign car you need to visit for less than 90 days at a time, for less than half the year in total and, I believe, not leave the car behind when you leave the country.

Which bit is troubling you? You being in Portugal for more than 90 days or the car being in Portugal for more than 90 days?

If you're a Brit who hasn't registered residency, then post-Brexit you may have no automatic right to visit or bring a car at all. If I've jumped to the wrong conclusions, my apologies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:55 am 

Good Morning. Thank you for your helpful reply. I am a Brit and live in the UK. I own a home in Portugal and visit frequently. I never stay more than 90 days at any one time and do not stay for more that a total of 180 days in any year. As I understand it, I do not need to register my visits.

However, for the first time in 10 years, I plan to drive to Portugal in a UK registered car and keep it in a garage there for up to 180 days. During that time I plan to make some trips (never for more that 90 days each, nor for a total of 180 days) and use the car during those visits.

I really do want to do things properly (I see no point in flouting the local rules), but what is worrying me is that I may have got it wrong in planning on keeping the car in Portugal during the times when I am in the UK, albeit that it will not be on the road.

Sorry to be so wordy. Any clarification would be welcome.

Thanks
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:58 am 

Subject to valid UK MoT, Road Tax & Insurance you would appear to be within the rules. I've been trying to find a definitive statement on the bit about leaving the car while you return to the UK and am now thinking that it may be misinformation caused by guidance as described here. It's also possible that the small print of your insurance might suggest that the car shouldn't be left behind?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:21 pm 

Many thanks. I have checked the insurance and that is all OK. I think I am covered by the very last sentence of the article. Appreciate the assistance - this seems to be a real minefield!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:55 pm 

I insure with AA Ireland and they stipulate that they must be informed if you leave the country for more than 60 days. If there is wriggle room the insurance companoes will find it.