Advertisements

International Relocation

Removals and Storage to Portugal

Caravans Wanted

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:05 pm 

How difficult is the exam to obtain a Portuguese drivers' license. I ask because my in laws who are native Portuguese have been using their USA drivers licenses now that they are back in Portugal. However renewal is difficult as we need to fly them to the states periodically (they r 80) but they fear having to obtain a Portuguese one. I understand they r supposed to but that isn't the question

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:23 pm 

I would think the more important question would be how safe are they driving in Portugal, assuming they are used to the much larger roads / parking spaces in the US ?

There is an issue about when, because of age, persons become unsafe to drive, risking both themselves and others. Moving to a country with massively different driving conditions can only exacerbate this problem.

I would think that it could do no harm for them to have a course of driving lessons with a local, recommended, Instructor and ask her or his opinion as to how difficult passing the test would be for them.

I believe another issue ( or perhaps two related issues ) arise/s :

1] The legality of their driving in Portugal on a US driving licence ? My understanding is that if they have become resident as opposed to just visiting for prolonged holidays, then they must acquire a local, Portuguese issued, D.L. I do not know whether this requires passing the local driving test or whether it is merely a bureaucratic procedure. Doubtless someone on here from outside the EU will have experience. There may be a period of grace from the date of becoming resident but it will end at some point.

2] If they are driving , using a DL issued in the US, when it is not legal for them to do so ( even though any police officer who stops them for an infringement may accept the foreign DL presented to her or him ) then this is almost certain to invalidate any insurance policy. Of course, this would be investigated only if they have an accident and make a claim ( or the other driver makes a claim ).

At that point be very very assured that the insurance company will make full investigation of all the circumstances, and if they discover that the driver was driving illegally they will shout Bingo and use that fact to deny the claim, potentially bankrupting the driver.