Advertisements

Storage Express

Pure Portugal

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:46 pm 

Hi
I am due to go to portugal to sign for house next month. I have hired a car from Porto Airport and will be driving to Guarda. What will i do regarding tolls etc or will it be explained to me at the desk.

I am arriving quiet late (10pm) and have a 2 hour drive to look forward to so any stress avoidance welcome

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:11 pm 

Very easy with Hertz and Avis from my considerable experience of renting over the last few years....
When you are at the car hire desk, when giving your passport/drivers license say that "you'd like to include tolls please" at the start of the process, they should understand what this means.
They should get you to sign another signature somewhere to say you do want to include toll costs automatically.
Before you finish at the desk just check again with a polite "and tolls will be paid automatically?" to double check if they haven't shown you explicitly.

What this means is:
A you'll pay about a euro or two extra per day up front for the cost of the tolls service, then after about 2 weeks you'll have a charge added to your card for the cost of the actual tolls you are charged.
B. Drive straight through the open Via Verde green triangle/thing lanes on the toll booths, no need to stop (it will display the price as you drive through).
C. Where there is no toll booth you just drive under the sensors and the little device on your windscreen will go beep and it will be paid automatically as well.

All works well part from the fairly high cost of the tolls, but the upside is the roads can be virtually empty on lesser routes...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:14 pm 

They will almost certainly supply a Via Verde transponder (and charge for it). Then deduct your tolls from your credit card when the hire is finished. Make sure to ask for one, if it is not mentioned.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:26 pm 

Thanks all