Storage Express

Montis

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Borehole Costs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:31 am 

Hello,
We are finally in a position to start serious planning for a relocation to Central Portugal. We are very interested in one house which would be very nice for us and has enough land for me to start growing fruit and veg again. I'm not looking at vast areas, but probably 200 sq.m. or so of kitchen garden, plus fruit trees. The only drawback is that the house does not have a borehole or source of water other than the tap. Does anyone know the cost of a borehole please? Obviously it will depend on the depth needed, and presumably the nature of the soil/subsoil/rock etc, but a general idea would be appreciated; is it 500, 5000 or 15000 Euros. The location is north of Vila Nova de Poiares.
Alternatively, if a borehole isn't feasible, how much is water from the tap please?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Graham

Post subject: Re: Borehole Costs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 am 

look at these and see if any are near to you, we will be having a hole done in march but in algarve so i dont know the costs
https://www.olx.pt/servicos/q-furos-de- ... ption%5D=1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:31 am 

You should budget €6000 to €10,000 for a borehole - dependent on depth and proximity to electricity. A local company will quote nearer the time.

Mains water where we are costs €1 per m3 for the actual water then all the other fixed costs bundled on top of that.

If you have the space, take a look at building a cisterna or storage pool for rainwater. Rainfall is around 1m3 per 1m2 - most of it during the winter.

Fruit is very cheap in the supermarket or at local markets ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:39 am 

Tap water:

http://www.cm-vilanovadepoiares.pt/imag ... 81guas.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:26 pm 

Thank you everyone for all the information. The borehole is around what I was expecting, but more than I was hoping! It looks like a cisterna is the way to go and certainly the cheapest option.
Fruit and veg is pretty cheap, but having lived in a cold part of North Wales for 30 years, I just want to grow the sort of things we want to eat, not to grow the things the climate will allow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:43 pm 

Richard,
I was just looking at the pricing information from the Camara but having trouble understanding it. The Portuguese is okay, but what does the "less than 2.5", "2.5 to 10" etc refer to please? And Quadro 1 and 2 refer to fixed and variable costs. Are both of these payable in addition to the cost per m3?
I'm anticipating being confused when we finally get there, but this is before we've even left the UK.

Thanks
G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:25 pm 

The "less than 2.5", "2.5 to 10" will typically refer to your monthly water consumption in cubic metres. It seems that in your area you pay a single 'fixed' charge based on your position on the consumption scale (Quadro I) plus 0,66€ per cu. mtr for the first 5, plus 0,84€ per cu. mtr for the next 10 cu. mtrs and so on (Quadro II). You will also pay for sewage disposal on a similar basis, based on your water consumption, if on mains drains (Quadro III & IV). Emptying a cesspit may just be a single charge (Quadro VI).

It's different in my area, where we also pay for domestic refuse collection based on water consumption.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:06 pm 

Thank you Richard, that all makes sense. Obviously the situation varies a lot with MrBife referring to 1Euro per m3. I'll have to try and work out how much water we would use and how much the garden would take. Or, as suggested above, fruit and veg are cheap!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 pm 

Each Câmara has its own way of charging for water and other services. We pay between 2,10€ and 2,60€ per cu. mtr average in the 5 - 25 cu mtr bands (including fixed & variable costs) but above that it costs around 5,35€ per cu. mtr for each additional unit.