Advertisements

Architect Your Home

Pure Portugal

Caravans Wanted

It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:53 pm 

Late to this thread but thought i'd update it with some (hopefully) useful info.

Duolingo - It may be in the Brazilian style but it is one of the best resources around and gamerises learning. I haven't found an app to match it yet.
Michel Thomas Audio CDs - A very good all round audio CD aimed at beginners which gets you speaking the language quickly. It does have its foibles but used daily you can make great progress and you learn a lot of useful vocabulary. Can be picked up from ebay very cheaply and well worth the money. Found this much more useful than Pimsleur or Earworms but feel free to try them as well.
italki - a community website where you can link up with people from around the world to help learn or further a language. English is a sought after language so finding someone willing to help you learn/ develop your Portuguese should be quite easy, you just have to be willing to help them further their English. You can also find online tutors as well but this comes with a fee. There are others such as verbling and busuu which are similar so see which one fits to you
rtp - you can stream a number of rtp channels direct through the rtp website. While not available to those outside of Portugal (it is programme dependent) it is a good way to watch and listen to European Portuguese.
radio commercial (or any other radio station) - Portuguese radio station which you can stream on the web. It is pretty much like any mainstream radio station in the UK with the exception of the odd Portuguese song and the presenters / adverts being in Portuguese. Good way to help get use to hearing and listening to the language.
PracticePortuguese.com - a website dedicated to helping people learn European Portuguese. They have a range of podcasts aimed at various skill levels repeated at different speeds. They have a paid for service which gives subtitles and other info but the free one is pretty good for listening exercises.
http://www.readmetro.com/en/portugal/ - Free Portuguese newspaper which you can read online.
Disney Films - Surprisingly a fair selection of Disney DVDs you can buy in this country (UK) have the option of having dubbed and / or subbed Portuguese. Obviously not to everyones taste but a good way to keep up your exposure.
google translate - good for translating words (not so good for entire sentences) but simply using it to find the name of objects in your house, writing it on a post-it note and then slapping that on the item is a quick way to boost your vocabulary surprisingly quickly. Words like porta (door), parede (wall), mesa (table) etc soon get committed to memory.

I'm sure there are other worthy items i am missing off this list but this is a pretty good place to make a start and between them should get you a good basic working knowledge of the language.

If just one person stumbles across this and finds it helpful then this post has served its worth :)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:25 pm 

I used the "Livemocha" system for a while, which has now ceased operating, but it was similar to what howaza describes the italki system. You could swap texts and recordings with other members, and the idea was that you helped others learn English in return for people helping you learn Portuguese.

One problem I found though (and I guess it would be similar with italki) was that given that people were learning and so had limited language skills the level of conversation you could have was fairly basic - favourite hobbies, what are you having for dinner tonight etc. The majority of people wanting to learn English were young students, and it just didn't feel right for a, shall we say, older man, to be "chatting" to 18-year-olds about such matters.

Anyway, to add to the list howaza gave, I'd recommend a section of the RTP system called ensina.rtp.pt . This has a series of short video clips on a variety of topics, so there's bound to be some on topics of interest to everyone.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:07 pm 

I have a listing on my blog that may help. https://portugal4me.wordpress.com/category/portugal-2/language/ I created it to help me remember some of what I found and basically save a list somewhere apart from my own pc that on occasions crashes and I loose information. Hope it helps.

http://portugal4me.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:16 pm 

Almost forgot. There is another one but you need to Google it (FSA Portuguese). Free if still available but you may end up in a mental institution going through the lessons. FSA is and American system used by the government to teach diplomats. You can/could download all spoken lessons and written directions. There is a lot there and worth a look.

http://portugal4me.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:00 am 

I have been using babble and their version is Brazilian Portuguese which is quite different as I found out. Earworms is great and as others have said relaxing and it feeds the long term memory...so important.
There is a short demo for volume one. And its so cheap at 9 euro its yours to keep, babble was 6 euro per month and you never own it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:47 pm 

Earworms is great but very limited. Great for getting used to the sounds of portuguese and building your courage.

Just started memrise, very good so far!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:46 am 

Earworms gave me a great foundation. The BBC is great. I used Babble and found the Brazilian PT so confusing.I will start a language exchange shortly there are a few in the North of PT.
None as far as I know in the South.