Advertisements

International Relocation

Removals and Storage to Portugal

It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:47 pm 

Hi,

Some great info on this forum, thank you to everyone who has posted, I'm finding this site to be a very useful tool in my planning.

Just wondering if anyone could help me with a little info on health insurance for US citizens.

Our situation:

My wife and I are 33 years old with two small boys aged 1 and 2. I'm from the UK and my wife is from the US. Both the boys have dual nationality, so the three of us should be covered on the NHS, however as I understand it, my wife will need some sort of health insurance.

Just a little more background: Only I will be working. I have a small online business and will begin paying taxes in Portugal, but she won't be working at all...well, at least for two or three years whilst the boys are at home. She's a teacher by trade.

So I just need to confirm that we definitely will need to get her some sort of health insurance and the fact that I will be paying PT taxes and later on she will too has no impact on whether she can get free health care?

If we do have to get insurance, can anyone give advice on best deals and a very rough amount that we would expect to pay each month?

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

James

Post subject: americanos
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:19 pm 

Hi,

I've asked the same question since we are both americans. Wonderful folks have mentioned that AXA and Bupa are good places to look, people were satisfied with their policies.

We haven't moved yet so perhaps someone will come forward and give you even clearer choices.

Enjoy your New Year and new home. lalinda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:44 am 

Suggest you ask M Heaner who's posted on Health Insurance for US citizens, the figure she quoted sounds a lot less than any price I've ever seen from Bupa

If your wife was employed in Portugal then I believe she is covered under PT Social Security payments ( same as UK NI) for Health Care at the same standard and cost as a PT National.

So an option for you, is to employ her in your business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:50 pm 

Woops, sorry I just noticed this thread. I'm a U.S. citizen and I went with AXA, for which I pay 3200 euros/year. You would pay less, being younger. This policy allows me to get treatment anywhere in western Europe, a feature with debatable value (that I've never used), especially in a younger person whose family will be getting care only in Portugal. You might want to talk to a broker who can give you quotes for various companies. For example: http://www.ibexinsure.com/. I've heard good reports on Portuguese private insurance companies. My AXA coverage does not include checkups or chronic conditions. They also won't cover pre-existing conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:59 pm 

Here's another insurance broker:
www.medal.pt/cms2/default_en.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:36 pm 

We are in the process of putting together all the paperwork to submit to the Consulate of Portugal in Washington, DC, in application for a residency visa.

Question about insurance: Will the consulate frown upon (or reject) a six-month policy with zero deductibles and zero co-payments? While we are waiting for our residency and residency card to be processed -- which can take up to six months, we're told -- would the six-month Nomads policy suffice?

Thanks for any feedback, input, suggestions, comments, whatever.

Obrigado!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:29 pm 

Pastor&prof My understanding is that yes, travel insurance is sufficient until you get set up permanently. You may find this article by Susan Korthase informative and valuable. Also the forum on that site is geared more towards US and Canadian related issues where this site tends to be more UK based. Both have great information.

Here is the link:

http://www.expatexchange.com/ctryguide/ ... aper-Trail

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:11 am 

pastor&prof wrote:
...Question about insurance: Will the consulate frown upon (or reject) a six-month policy with zero deductibles and zero co-payments? While we are waiting for our residency and residency card to be processed -- which can take up to six months, we're told -- would the six-month Nomads policy suffice?

Yes, the type of travel medical insurance policy that you describe has been accepted for the visa application in the case of everyone I know, myself included :-)