Advertisements

Architect Your Home

Pure Portugal

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: help with visa issues
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:48 am 

Hello, I have encountered some problems with my and my family's visa status in Portugal. We entered Portugal with US passports (I actually also have a UK passport and am a dual citizen, but my family members do not). I received a five moth temporary stay visa (I am a researcher on a fellowship working with a university here). I was told by my host organization that my family members should come in under the visa waiver program, and then apply for a visa extension once they get close to the end of their initial 90 day stay and that I should also apply for a visa extension on my initial visa so that we can all stay until July. Our plan all along has been to stay until July (that is when our return ticket to the US will be). This week is the 90 day point for my family, so last week I went to CNAI in Lisbon to request a visa appointment. However, yesterday I got the news that our appointment is booked for August... after we are already back in the US! My understanding is that we can legally remain in Portugal now because we have an appointment in August, and that we can show our appointment letter when we leave Portugal to go back home (this seems like a really weird system to me, but SEF has said that this is ok). But we have planned several short holidays to other EU countries (based on my host institution's assurances that it would be easy for us to extend our visas). Are we no longer allowed to travel outside of Portugal? I don't understand exactly what our legal / visa status is with expired visas and appointment letters.

Also, I am further confused about whether my Portuguese temporary stay visa (valid until May) applies to travel within the Schengen zone or only within Portugal.

Any ideas? I've done a lot of internet reading but since this is a very specific situation am having trouble finding answers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:22 pm 

You can probably just come back into Portugal as tourists...but bring appointment paper with you. I don't think you need to worry too much.