Advertisements

International Relocation

Pure Portugal

Caravans Wanted

It is currently Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cars in Portugal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:47 am 

I've been doing some research on cars (basically perusing car sale websites) and two things seem to stand out. Firstly, diesel engines seem to dominate in Portugal. I'm seeing what appears to be 80-90% cars with diesel engines. In Australia, only 21% of vehicles have diesel engines. Is my research correct and, if so, has anyone any idea why diesel is so prevalent in Portugal?

Secondly, there also appears to be a very high number of estate cars (also called touring). I thought these were on the decline since the 70's, hand in hand with the demise of the travelling salesman and the emergence of the SUV to transport over-sized families. It appears not to be the case in Portugal.

Post subject: Re: Cars in Portugal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:08 am 

Global Nomad wrote:
Is my research correct and, if so, has anyone any idea why diesel is so prevalent in Portugal?

I'd always assumed it is because diesel is between 20 and 30 cents a litre cheaper than petrol, and better MPG.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:11 am 

Old Bloke wrote:
I'd always assumed it is because diesel is between 20 and 30 cents a litre cheaper than petrol, and better MPG.

Diesel is a bit more expensive than petrol in OZ but delivers better fuel economy so is cheaper in the long run. That hasn't meant everyone flocking to diesels though. Maybe too many people remember the old diesels that were clunky and noisy. I'd be interested to know what its like in other Euro countries. I thought petrol dominated in the UK, for example.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:10 am 

Global Nomad wrote:
I thought petrol dominated in the UK, for example.
Not so. We're currently after a new car in the UK, looking for a 3-5 year old petrol estate car. The choice is very limited.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:02 pm 

Set to reverse as the government are toying with the idea of either offering people in the UK cash to scrap their filthy/polluting diesels (their idea not mine) OR encouraging towns and cities to levy a tax for driving in their town/city with a diesel vehicle!!!!!!!

The UK government encouraged folk to buy diesel vehicles-good for the environment-and now, years later, have changed their minds.

VW is also refusing to compensate people who bought one of their 'emissions doctored' vehicles, which they're finding impossible to sell on after the debacle, and have massively devalued as a result of the bad publicity.

More people are looking for petrol cars now in the UK.

http://mixedabilityme.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:31 am 

Yes, diesel is coming under pressure from environmentalists. I've spotted on the OOYYO website that of 122,000 odd cars they have for sale in Portugal, 76,000 are diesel and 38,000 petrol, so a 2 to 1 ratio. That's actually better than I thought. It seems with some models diesel dominates but is less suitable for others.

I also found an article from the Guardian (2016) that says in London, diesel vehicles have 29.4% of the market, so not as dominant as in Portugal. Another Guardian article explains that diesel vehicles are most prolific in countries where tax on diesel is lowest and Portugal is one of those.

Interestingly, diesel is taxed less than petrol despite the fact it is much more damaging to the environment. All of which shows that for the majority of us, our environmental care conscience takes a back seat if it conflicts with dollars in our pocket. No surprise there!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:02 am 

There's a nice chart here from Eurostat showing proportions by fuel type for new vehicles sold in 2015.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics ... ,_2015.png

Along with a whole lot of other info on this link :
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics ... _in_the_EU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:09 am 

Thanks X Camone, very interesting data. I hadn't realised that diesel had become so popular. The variance between countries and car size is also very interesting. It looks like many EU countries have their taxation and environment policies out of sync in this regard.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:37 am 

I came across this article https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox which claims that new cars bought in Portugal in 2016 pollute the least in Europe. It also says that the sale of diesel cars fell below 50%, the lowest level since 2009.