International Relocation

International Removals

Caravans Wanted

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Own car in PT
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:34 pm 

Hi Paul

Whatever you choose good luck and what's wrong with a trip to see Lisbon it's a beautiful city

Peter

This Blog is for information only
http://Iberianspices.blogspot.pt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:58 pm 

PP wrote:
... We have owned the car for 4 years and had our apartment here paying utilities for that length of time so I would suggest we fit criteria. Although not resident here we are registering as THE in January and looking to bring the car over in September this year so again I would suggest we would be within timescales. ...

You need to be able to prove ownership and residence outside of Portugal (ie utility bills in the name/address of the car owner) before you can import 'tax' free as a new resident and you need to become resident before you import the car. It could prove costly to trip up on details. Maybe an agent would help you avoid blunders.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:23 pm 

PETERFC wrote:
Hi Paul

Whatever you choose good luck and what's wrong with a trip to see Lisbon it's a beautiful city

Peter

Peter, good afternoon. The city of Lisbon is on our agenda when we are "settled" here and as such I may choose to have a bash myself ending on the timescales. Once again many thanks for your valuable input.
Cheers. Paul.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:30 pm 

RichardHenshall wrote:
PP wrote:
... We have owned the car for 4 years and had our apartment here paying utilities for that length of time so I would suggest we fit criteria. Although not resident here we are registering as THE in January and looking to bring the car over in September this year so again I would suggest we would be within timescales. ...

You need to be able to prove ownership and residence outside of Portugal (ie utility bills in the name/address of the car owner) before you can import 'tax' free as a new resident and you need to become resident before you import the car. It could prove costly to trip up on details. Maybe an agent would help you avoid blunders.

Richard, good afternoon. I don't think we should have any issues as we are at the moment UK resident and domicile and will be retaining our property in the UK. We have held the Portuguese property in excess of 12 years which we used as a holiday home (not 4 as I stated earlier) and as such I have utility bills "coming out of my ears" for both properties. The car was bought by me 4 years ago and is registered in my name so no issues there. If (as intended) I drive the car over in late September and become NHR in January I should be able to matriculate the vehicle within the 6 months allowed (by March). Pretty sure it all ties up time wise, please feel free to advise me if my timescales are not correct but that is my understanding.
Once again many thanks for your valuable input.
Cheers. Paul.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:37 pm 

Hi Paul

Agent or not you must go still to the Consulate to get your Statuary Declaration this is to prove that as a resident of Portugal you are no longer a UK resident. That done all an agent has to do is fill in the customs forms and go to the test station to get the car tested and a trip to Customs. Great days work for 400 plus Euro.

Peter

This Blog is for information only
http://Iberianspices.blogspot.pt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:17 pm 

Peter,
I have always admired your success with registering your car in a day. Sadly, not all of us have been so successful. After multiple trips to IMT and later to the Alfendaga, making the changes required to the car, and waiting for IMT delays, I screwed up a deadline. I would happily pay the agent fees at this time. They asked us for over 29k€ to import a car that is worth less than $12k Canadian, because I missed a deadline. I am not a stupid person, but I thought I understood the paperwork and I messed up. We have tried the legal route, but at this point it looks like the car will go to scrap, as this is the only alternative that will not cost more than the car is worth. My tears are dried up on this one, time to get on with life. But, if someone is more comfortable getting an agent, I can relate.