Advertisements

International Relocation

Removals and Storage to Portugal

It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:31 am 

Hi, and feliz Ano Novo to all. I hope this is the right sub-forum. It's more "red tape" than "transport" really!

I'm due for renewal on this next month so I need to get this sorted. I'm near Coimbra so I'll go to the IMT office there. I've a rough idea of how the office operates from when I converted my UK driving licence, but this is the first two-year renewal I've had to do.

My question is, what's the order of procedure? Do I need to get the application form, then the medical certificate, then re-visit IMT for the final revalidation? Or can I get the medical certificate first, in advance, thereby just requiring one IMT visit taking the medical certificate with me?

Walk-thru assistance appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mick.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:45 am 

Hi,
We use a local driving school who deals with it rather than us having to go to Santarem.
However, the process must be the same.
We go to our GP and they print out the form and the doctor fills it in. We´d been told
we needed an eye test, but our GP signed anyway! You, of course, might need one. We got the photos needed and took them, the med. form and present driving licence & passport to the d. school.
Paid the fee (incl. the Santarem one) and she gave us a signed/stamped form to show the
Police as she kept the d. licence. She then went to Sant. and sorted it all. The new d. licence came back to our house direct from Santarem. If it didn´t arrive before our bit of paper expired, we could return to the school and she would do a renewal.
Total cost was about €50, but worth it to us to save the hassle. You, of course can do it
yourself as you are near the IMT office.
Let us know how you get on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:59 pm 

Hi, and thanks for the reply + info.

I think the IMT office will do the photos using their PC and camera as it's what they did when I converted my UK licence.

Other info I've since received suggests that the GP does the med form online; does (or arranges for) any examinations needed, then sends it back, again online.

In any case I'll go to the health centre on Monday and try to find out exactly what the procedure is. I'll use Coimbra IMT as I'm only half an hour's drive away and it'll probably be the quickest way.

Thanks again!
Mick.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:05 am 

True. Go to the doctor, who will send the report to IMT online. Then go to Coimbra who will already have your health report. If your appearance has changed they may take a new photo. They will issue you a temporary A4 license (only valid in Portugal), and the new plastic card will be posted to you within a couple of days.

In theory you could go to your local Câmera, but they can not do it on the spot if you have a foreigner´s residence certificate, as unlike a Portuguese citizen's identity card, for some reason they can not check this on their system, and have to contact some other office. They say this would take a few days.

Alan

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:18 pm 

Thanks Alan. I went to the health centre and made an appointment with my doc. I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to see my own GP, but there's time and they seemed to know what the drill is so it should all go through smoothly.
Mick.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:52 pm 

You are luckier than us. Both mine and my wife´s licenses expired last August. At that time we did not have a family doctor allocated - there is a national shortage of these, and the health center could not give us appointments with one of the other doctors in time. So we went to the local clinic and paid 60€ for a private doctor to do the job. If our licenses had expired we would have had to take driving tests.....

The health center now has a new doctor assigned and we are on his list, so we have to hope that he says here - unlike the last two that we had.

Alan

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:37 am 

alan wrote:
> If our licenses had expired we would have had to take driving tests.....

You'd certainly have been in breach of the law and faced a fine if caught but there is a grace period of 2 years within which you can still renew without having to take a test.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:03 pm 

I went to my GP yesterday to get the "atestado" so that I can exchange my UK for a PT licence - presumably a similar process for those wishing to extend an existing PT licence.

Some points:

- during our chat, she indicated that GPs are not obligated to do these reports, but that she does them at her own volition. When I asked what one should do if ones GP doesn't do it, she just sort of shrugged (presumably, as Alan said above, there is always the private clinic route)

- she said I should take the printed copy she gave me, even though it is electronically sent through to the IMT. So - just in case the IMT people play difficult, make sure you take the paper copy with you.

- I forgot to take my UK paper licence with me (I didn't appreciate that the medical report would need the existing licence) and so I have come away with only the "Group 1: class B" vehicles being authorised. Not an issue for me, but worth noting for others who might wish to retain other categories of vehicle.

- Note also that when I initially went to see her over this, she asked for a statement from an optician, which I then had to arrange. If this is needed for a licence extension, it might be worth organising in advance.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 pm 

Some useful info there. Thanks.

When I first exchanged my UK licence for PT one, my doc sent me to a private clinic for the various med tests, so I suppose this might be the case again for revalidation. I don't recall getting an eye test at the time, but I might have just forgotten. My eyesight is OK though--just need cheapo reading glasses.