Advertisements

International Relocation

Pure Portugal

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fibre optic internet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:05 am 

Good morning. We are currently looking for a reliable company to supply fibre optic internet and TV. We are currently with MEO but they use ADSL (?) as fibre is not available in our area.
Although Vodaphone and NOS will offer fibre we are then locked into their tv package which is limited. Can anyone recommend a company that offer high speed fibre internet with UK TV package ?
Cheers in advance. PP.

Profile   WWW  

Post subject: Re: Fibre optic internet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:13 pm 

MEO (Altice) own most of the infrastructure, so going to NOS or Vodaphone will not make much difference.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:39 pm 

alan wrote:
> MEO (Altice) own most of the infrastructure, so going to NOS or Vodaphone
> will not make much difference.

MEO do not provide fibre optic in our area NOS And Vodafone do. I was thinking more of an independent supplier like lazer.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:41 pm 

I have heard of MEO and Vodafone building and sharing infrastructure but not NOS.
Isn't Lazer only in Golden Triangle?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:03 pm 

Unless I've missed something you won't get a PT fibre (or ADSL, or whatever) service that provides "UK TV". You can get a variety of English language stations, mostly American, but not the standard UK stations.

By the way, we took out the Vodafone TV-Net-Voz service, thinking we would appreciate some English-language stations, but honestly, we probably won't bother in the future. The range of stations, and programs available, just haven't appealed.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:15 pm 

Hi All

Just a little about how Meo and others will do to get a contract. While i was away in Liverpool last year after first arranging for my mail to be opened i was given a date and time for Meo to install Fibre in my house. I knew that there was no Fibre in the village before i left so i rearranged my booking and came back the day before the Fibre was to be fitted.

I came back even though i know what crap Meo are so i got up early the next day. A little before the appointed time the Fibre installer arrived at the bottom of the lane and parked his van. The installer then walked all round the village and finally came to my house. The first thing he said was where is the Fibre cable i told him there was no Fibre in my village. I was under the impression he would run a cable to the main road not far away. No he said the cable guys run the cable he said.

The promise i was given weeks before was from a sales department and they even drew up a contract for the Fibre. All this and no department communicates with each other.

To say i was angry is only being polite i was Mad because i had to get another flight after already having a return flight i had to miss and after all that i didn't get Fibre installed into my house.

If Meo say there is no Fibre to your house then Nos and Vodaphone can't give you Fibre.

No for UK TV i subscribe to https://britishtv.club and have my TV connected to my computer.

Peter

This Blog is for information only
http://Iberianspices.blogspot.pt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:23 pm 

> If Meo say there is no Fibre to your house then Nos and Vodaphone can't
> give you Fibre.

Not true in my case - I'm on the Setubal peninsula, so can expect good connectivity it seems.
Meo could not do fibre, previous occupant worked for Meo with staff discount and had ADSL only. They researched for me and said sorry, absolutely no Meo fibre here.

NOS installed it two days later, I get a 240meg connection if using a ethernet cable, installer said I'm the only person on fibre in a large village.
So milage may vary depending on your area - its all a cost decision on likely uptake v implantation costs and companies may share costs at times...?