Advertisements

Architect Your Home

International Removals

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:25 pm 

I purchased a great property late last year and it has no heating at the moment and I'll have to say, I sure missed piped gas over the winter.

So as not to suffer another cold winter I'm looking to purchase a wood burner in the central Portugal area. I see many places mentioned in the Algarve where a purchase is possible but that's not a practical distance as I'm 30 minutes north of Tomar.

I'm not really interested in the likes of Leroy Merlin as perhaps it's ideal to source from somewhere that supplies and fits and especially so as I need to get though a 60cm wall and hopefully link into the original chimney.

I think a salamander wood burner would be my best bet as I have 2200 meters of my own wood supply and perhaps 3 years supply already chopped and ready to go. I have a conventional UK style fireplace but to fit something into that space, to my mind could result in lost heat from three sides and no benefit from the flue pipe. A friend is changing their recessed fire due to these two problems. Those same friends also have diesel central heating and were horrified and the fuel usage.

Names, recommendations and places I can visit would be most appreciated as would suggested makes, pros and cons. I'm still learning where to buy basics and about wood fired heating.

I had read on another thread of the possibility to import from the UK. One such suggestion was woodburningstoveslimited. Here my concern would be spare parts in a hurry.

Some have written that the quality of Portuguese wood stoves is not as good as those available to other nations. Comments here would be appreciated. Cast iron to my mind would be much more durable and even if more in cost, initially, is potentially cheaper in the long term.

Thanks to all that reply.

http://portugal4me.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:12 pm 

If nobody comes forward with a recommendation for a supplier in Tomar, I can recommend Valdomesticos in Cernache do Bonjardim which is where we got ours from. They don't do fitting themselves but can arrange for someone to fit it.
Friends of ours also experienced lack of heat for amount of wood burnt in a built in unit and have noticed a marked difference after changing to a free-standing one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:31 pm 

Before you start shopping you need to do your calculations on the amount of heat actually required for the space you want to heat - then decide how you are going to distribute it to different areas (radiators/ducting/underfloor) and work in the thermal efficiency of the structure itself. That may also need improving with some better insulation to the roof/walls/floor or by changing the windows.

A good heating engineer will calculate for you but there are Apps now that do the same job and are easy to use.

As per my post in an alternative Forum - Portuguese manufactured Wood Burning Stoves are up there with the best in the world. (Solzaima, Fogo Montanha etc) If the UK distributor you mention doesn't stock them then they are missing a trick or two.

No advantage to buying in the UK and shipping down if you can shop locally !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 pm 

Old Bloke wrote:
If nobody comes forward with a recommendation for a supplier in Tomar, I can recommend Valdomesticos in Cernache do Bonjardim .
Thanks for the recommendation. That area is in fact not too far from me so I may take a trip over there and have a look.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:08 pm 

MrBife wrote:
Before you start shopping you need to do your calculations !

I agree with what you say totally and in all honesty, it's a bigger problem that I initially thought. The heat distribution I refer to. I have high ceiling downstairs so could have ducting at ceiling height and take that up into floor vents. As for knowing what output I'd require, that's another story and I suspect that no single unit would cope given the sq metres involved. I did consider a wet system but would rather stay clear of that idea as the floor are all tiled to a good quality and running pipes up and along walls would detract from some interior appeal. Never mind. I'll throw ideas back and to.