Advertisements

International Relocation

International Removals

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:26 pm 

Thank you for your advice.
The seller has had an inspection of the property and he and the lawyers have been told it is possible to legalise those parts that aren't 'legal' and hence get licences. There has been an estimated cost to the seller to make things acceptable - a significant cost, but I won't say how much as it would be wrong to, especially if the seller views this forum.
The lawyer is drafting a Promissory Contract whereby, if the seller can't get a licence or demolition work is needed, I can withdraw and get my money/deposit back. So the two problems are: will he be able to get them and the months needed to get them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:43 pm 

If the seller drops out the buyer is usually entitled to a return of his deposit, plus an equal amount from the seller.
This threat should concentrate his mind.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:25 pm 

Thank you for your reply.
True. But, in this case there will be a clause saying, that if demolition is needed or he can't get a licence for part of the property, we can drop out. Otherwise we would lose our deposit. He won't drop out as he lives there or maybe could sell to someone else who is not bothered about a licence. Our lawyer is putting in that clause so we have a way out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:53 am 

It's sounds too complicated and circuitous. Paperwork is complicated enough in Portugal when all the ducks are in a row. Advise is to just walk away, like someone else mentioned. You don't want more headaches down the line.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:09 am 

Thanks for the advice Gabbie. Most probably very wise words which may eventually come to haunt us. But after 3 months (since the property was seen), my wife is more reluctant than me to drop out. Time - which could be long - will tell whether it goes through smoothly or we drop out later without much financial penalty due to the 'clause'.

Thanks.