Advertisements

Architect Your Home

Pure Portugal

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:33 am 

Hi All

We are considering a land purchase here and coming from Malta I understand bureaucracy! As we are looking at a smallholdings, we're trying to find out more information regarding rules and regulations on REN / RAN land as these classifications seem pretty common on land within our budget. When it comes to cork trees some clear guidelines of what is or isn't permitted would be great too.
A local camara guided us to 2 websites: ccdr-lvt.pt (Commission for Regional Development....for REN land) and dgadr.mamaot.pt (Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development for RAN land). He said it's these 2 national bodies which govern rules, not the local camara. Regarding cork trees he pointed us to icnf.pt (Institute of Nature and Forest Conservation)

Yet we've spent a few hours hunting down information and still can't find any clear guide of what is or isn't permitted on these lands. Maybe other people have gone down a similar route and can point us in the right direction? No building or swimming pools is obvious, yet what we're interested in is agricultural uses of land. Can we rip out eucaliptus within a REN classified parcel and replant with some other tree for example? With RAN olive planted land is olive farming the only use for this land?

With cork trees obviously we can't cut them down, but do we have to report them if they die? are they on a national register?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 am 

Hi there,

We bought land by a river, so are covered by REN.

The previous owner had to get permission from REN (as well as the camara) to develop an existing ruin. As this was done before we bought I'm not sure what was involved but REN agreed to a 50% increase in footprint - so I can only guess they were ok. We still havent been able to build as we also need permission from the highways agency, (they are improving a road near us) this has been far more difficult!

As for cork oaks, I do not think they are registered anywhere and many people have told us they are often cut down during a build. Not ideal, or legal, but you could always plant new ones in a more suitable spot. Much of what happens here is a bit shady! You'll get used to using your own judgement on things.

Good luck

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:46 am 

Hi Cojabound

Thanks for your experience. It's definitely a bureaucratic nightmare. A little update for our situation since my post asking for information:

We are currently going through the process of asking REN for permission to rebuild the ruins on the property, which then has to pass through the local camara for their permission, we've left this all in the hands of our lawyer. Thankfully we asked for a clause in the purchase agreement making the purchase dependant upon approval from REN and the camara. It's been 3 months and still no word.......