Advertisements

Architect Your Home

International Removals

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:17 am 

This week I had reps from both Vodafone and NOS knocking on my door to see if I wanted to switch to FIBRA. I was amazed to discover this has arrived in my very small village. I am not sure if I should make the switch. I have been with NOS for a couple of years and my internet speed is not bad at all apart from the occasional dip. But the packages both firms offer are slightly cheaper than what I am paying now for just internet and a landline and it will include TV which would benefit my cack Portuguese.

Any pros/cons you are willing to share with me? My brother asked me if I would get fibre all the way to the inside of my house. I of course have no idea (yet) because I am a bit of a technophobe. The fibre box is stuck to a pole not far from my house. How it will get from the box to my pc is still a mystery but I will ask the reps when they return (I asked for a couple of days thinking time), unless someone on this fab forum can enlighten me.

Should I or should I not make the switch?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:46 am 

In my humble opinion you should make the switch, in operational terms you won't actually notice much difference and the price difference at the moment will probably be an 'intro deal' that will get adjusted out in the not too distant future.

But if they have seen fit to install fibre then the least you should do is to support their initiative otherwise they may place less importance on extending the service to others. You should check that you are going to receive unlimited bandwidth as some services cap at 100gb per month. You need this if you are going to run an IPTV box or put Netflix on your Smart TV

Be aware that the new connection will cause a new contract to be made and you will be tied to it for two years. But you still have 14 days cooling off period if you need it.

They will pull through a new cable so you have fibre direct to your home and a new router. It's amazing technology when you think back to listening to the dialup squeak not so many years ago and speeds of 33kbps !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:00 pm 

Thank you, Mr Bife. Good point about supporting the initiative! I am making a list with the questions I have and have added your comment about bandwith. I don't netflix etc. but who knows what I will start indulging in once I have sooper dooper internet speed.

Another thing I need to ascertain is if I really will get fibre all the way. A while ago someone on this very forum wrote: "true fiber which is fiber all the way from exchange to end-user and then there is the other which is a mixture of fiber and normal lines. 70% of PT fiber is the second one." -- apologies for not acknowledging the author as I just copied the text and saved it. This info could very well be outdated and looking at your message I needn't worry. But it is on my list of questions.

My neighbours across the road are switching to Vodafone Fibra but they have been with VF for a while. They reckon Vodafone provide a better service than NOS but I have no idea if that is true.

To be continued.... thanks again Mr. B!