Advertisements

Storage Express

Montis

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:42 am 

Hi Expaters

Many of you may not know that expatsportugal is a nonprofit organisation! We rely on donations and advertising to keep the site alive.

Since the passing of our Great Omniscient Founder, Spownall, there is no one to perform site maintenance for free, so this year will be costly.

The site needs a few renovations, to clear out dead links, remove the sister sites and defunct categories, and rejuvenate the advertisers. I'm going to start a new category for advertising property for sale and rent.

If you know anyone with an expat-related business, now is the time to snap up a right hand column advertising deal for €75/ a year. There's no other venue with the same trust and exposure - still pulling 30,000 unique visitors a month.

We are constantly asked for recommendations for lawyers, builders, schools and honest real estate agents. Why don't they advertise here? I will also consider offers from sole traders and freebies for good causes.

If you've had a good experience with a business lately, let me know who they are so I can follow them up, or recommend expatsportugal to them.

If you have any suggestions for changes to the site, let me know.

If you'd like to make a donation I'd really appreciate it. Every euro counts!
https://www.paypal.me/expatsportugal

I wish you all a pasteis de nata-filled day :)

xx Emma

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:34 am 

Bom Dia.

The site is certainly useful. I would think that most of us who visit regularly would be happy to make a modest donation.
Perhaps it would help if you gave an indication of approx. how much it costs to pay for site maintenance per annum ?

The note of caution would be simply that one reads more and more of online scams and phishing and all the rest, so I may not be alone in being more wary than I was of keying in my details, particularly around bank / paypal accounts and so on. I 'm not sure what the solution is but I mention it in case you have one.

On the subject of suggestions : are small ads, eg for sale of items like furniture, free at the moment or how does that work ?
Is one allowed to offer property for sale ?
Or not ?

It seems to me that there is a big difference in principle between an Estate Agent's selling loads of houses and flats, and an individual subscriber to the site occasionally putting her / his house up for sale, or indeed , advertising the fact that s/he is looking to purchase.

Maybe such small adds from individuals could be charged at 5 Euros per month ?

I believe the algarvedailynews permits such small ads ( for cars / houses / general items ) for sale for free.

Just my immediate thoughts, for comment ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:27 pm 

Hi Emma

If you can setup a means of members making a contribution I an sure the members would be happy to contribute, for example a Justgiving page come to mind.

Good luck

Peter

This Blog is for information only
http://Iberianspices.blogspot.pt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:20 am 

€20 sent - the site saves me a huge amount of time, trouble and stress from the information I glean from here so makes sense to pass on a small percentage of that to keep it alive.

Who will match my donation??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:28 pm 

Wow Kiwi, you rock! Thanks so much!

Rhys, good suggestions, when I create the property section I’ll put a donate-a-fiver sticky on it for the existing members. You can advertise anything else in the classifieds section, I never realised before how busy the classifieds is! Better than eBay!!
I’m hoping the maintenance won’t be more than €250, but it’s hard to tell in advance.

I think we all feel a bit dodgy putting our details online but PayPal is very secure. They have to be rock solid or their business is bust - and PayPal is getting as big as Facebook these days.
Here’s the donation link again-
https://www.paypal.me/expatsportugal

Thanks again kiwi for leading the charge, love your work ❤️❤️❤️

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:02 am 

Well pl. don't delay creating the Property section as I at least would like to post an ad there and happy to pay the 5 Euros.

What about CARS ? There are a LOT of people agonising over how to register their car etc ( not worth the cost unless you get the new resident exemption ).
This leaves many needing to buy second hand within Portugal.
Again this could be a useful Section.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:50 pm 

Hi Rhys yep there’s a whole car site. See the cars under the top expats Portugal heading? It links to carsportugal.com...
Up the top, between ‘rentals’ and ‘yellow’

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:51 pm 

Actually I have looked there and most of the ads seem to be years out of date.

Worth considering to programme all ads to expire after one month unless renewed, I would think.

Also have a box for 'date ad first listed' so people know how old the ad is.