Advertisements

Architect Your Home

International Removals

Caravans Wanted

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:35 pm 

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... rmd%3Divns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:18 pm 

Madeleine McCann petition nears 50,000-signature milestone

Leicester Mercury

By Dan Martin
Thursday, April 28, 2011, 09:30

An online petition calling for a full review of the evidence surrounding Madeleine McCann's disappearance is nearing the 50,000-signature milestone.

Kate and Gerry McCann launched the petition in November because they felt the authorities had given up searching for their daughter, who went missing in Portugal four years ago.

The McCanns, from Rothley, had intended to present the petition to the Portuguese and British governments when 50,000 people had backed them.

Now, however, with the figure standing at nearly 48,800 names and the anniversary of her disappearance approaching, they have decided to let it run.

Their spokesman, Clarence Mitchell, said: "It was always loosely the intention to present it at 50,000 and, although it will be done soon, it will continue for the time being.

"There are also tens of thousands of signatures, many from Rothley, on paper copies that have yet to be collated and when they are factored in the figure will be well over 50,000.

"When it is handed in, they hope it will inject some more urgency into the search for Madeleine.

"Kate and Gerry are delighted and grateful for the support they continue to receive."

Madeleine was three when she disappeared from her family's holiday flat in the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz, in the Algarve, on May 3, 2007, as her parents dined nearby.

A massive search was launched but the McCanns said only their team of private investigators was now searching for their daughter.

Mr Mitchell said the family was preparing for the launch of a book about the disappearance, written largely by Kate.

It is to be released on May 12 – Madeleine's eighth birthday.

He said: "There is a hope the book itself will help give another push in the search for Madeleine."

Publisher Transworld paid the McCanns a substantial but undisclosed sum as an advance on the book, entitled Madeleine. It is also likely to result in a lucrative newspaper serialisation deal.

Mr Mitchell said: "The money from the book is being entirely used to fund the search for her.

"The pot had dropped to between £100,000 and £200,000 last year and would have run out in the autumn.

"It means there should be enough to keep the search going for at least another year."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:13 pm 

http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global[_id]=64175

An interesting review of Kate McCann's book (never heard of this Witness, mind you).

I didn't read it, so I didn't know that "in the three years prior to the McCann’s visit to Portugal, five cases of children being sexually assaulted in their beds, while their parents slept in adjoining rooms, within an hour’s drive of where they stayed, had been recorded". It must be Portugal's best kept secret.

Unless, of course, it is a matter of embelished tales, like the one of the owner of a café that complained to the police, in the aftermath of Maddie's disappearance, that a drunken customer (well known in the neighbourhood) had threatened to abduct her daughter (who was in her arms) because she refused to serve him or something. A few months later, whenI read it in an English tabloid the man was already dragging the child away and the mother had to run after him (I only know it was the same story because the name of the café was the same, presumably to lend some credibility). Murdoch, oh Murdoch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:28 pm 

I can't get the link to open Lobito. It seems to come from South Africa (.za suffix) but I've no idea where they fit in.

I think this story has run its course and whoever is responsible has got away with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:40 pm 

lobito wrote:
.... Murdoch, oh Murdoch...

I'm really sorry lobito but I didn't get the implication :oops: :oops:

I know you always have an excellent point to make - you couldn't explain to this dimbo, could you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:55 pm 

itsmeagain wrote:
I can't get the link to open Lobito. It seems to come from South Africa (.za suffix) but I've no idea where they fit in.

I think this story has run its course and whoever is responsible has got away with it.

Funny. I can't open it either, now. I did twice before, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:11 pm 

X Camone wrote:
lobito wrote:
.... Murdoch, oh Murdoch...

I'm really sorry lobito but I didn't get the implication :oops: :oops:

I know you always have an excellent point to make - you couldn't explain to this dimbo, could you?

Well, the British press had excellent... press in Portugal. Still has, I would say. But generally speaking, people seem to attribute the general lowering of standards of media everywhere to the rise of Murdoch's empire.

I guess that one of the reasons I started to follow this story closely is that I could do it in two languages and, at times, I could read the various versions of the same quite uninteresting happening going back and forth between the two countries until a satisfying version would be set in stone by the British tabloids (and repeated by the serious newspapers, by the way). I have also found out, by following this one story, that 90% of all newspapers are made of quotes of news agencies' articles (which are always anonymous, by the way).

I've lost all respect for the British media. As I didn't have much for the Portuguese one... :wink: They are less brazen, though.

Let's see how the landscape changes, post- Murdoch 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:46 pm 

Look out for arrows and circles on your walls.

Cops crack Madeleine McCann codes Daily Star Sunday

ABOVE: Madeleine McCann was three when she vanished in Praia da Luz four years ago
By Jonathan Corke
17th July 2011

MADELEINE McCann's abductors may have daubed coded messages on the outside walls of the family's holiday apartment to indicate when she was alone.

Police in Portugal's Algarve recently discovered arrows or circles are being used by criminals to signal a chance to break into homes.

A horizontal arrow means property is easy to get into during the afternoon. Semi-circles underneath a line indicate a child is alone in the evening.

The signs, believed to originate with Brazilian crime gangs, have been found on or near properties across the popular holiday region.

Madeleine McCann was three when she vanished in Praia da Luz four years ago as parents Kate and Gerry dined nearby. Police suspect the apartment may have been staked out for days.

And witnesses saw a man watching it in the week before Madeleine's disappearance in May 2007.

Dave Edgar, a former detective now investigating the case for the McCanns, has said: "Someone just doesn't go in, a passer-by, and pick up a child and take it.

"These things are planned. They may even have been watching the apartment for a week or more."

Police in Portugal hope publicising details of the codes may help prevent crime in the region.

A police spokesman said: "The signs indicate to other burglars how easy the property is to break into, as well as indicating when the house is empty or more likely to be empty, if there are elderly people or children alone in the house, among others."

And he warned residents: "If you see any of these signs around your house, you should remove them immediately and contact your local police."

Clarence Mitchell, spokesman for the McCanns, said anything the police were doing to raise awareness of possible crimes in the area was welcomed.

Sales from Kate McCann's book Madeleine, released in May, are believed to have now passed 200,000.

And Kate, 44, and Gerry, 43, from Rothley, Leicestershire, hope new information on their daughter's case will emerge.

A Metropolitan Police team of detectives is reviewing the evidence in her case to see if any clues have been missed. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:21 pm 

Imagine if this happened to you and nobody believed you because the press took your story and ran with it. On and on with little or no regard for the facts, or immenseness of the tragedy.

From now on many people will look at the McCanns and wonder....if they didnt have something to do with their daughters disappearance.

These parents are brave and stubborn and not prepared to let this story die and as a result Madeleine is still talked about where
many families who have lost a child lack the willpower or funding to keep their story fresh.

I hope they continue to fight to find the truth...even if they never succeed hopefully their actions will be like a pebble in a pond and some good will come from the tragic disappearance of this little girl. Even if the people surrounding them are gold diggers or looking to take advantage to further their own interests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:57 pm 

Pikeys in the UK use signs marked on your gate, wall or whatever to tell their mates that a house is empty during the day, night etc.

This is well known and not news. And the use of the word "may" in "MADELEINE McCann's abductors may have daubed coded messages on the outside walls of the family's holiday apartment to indicate when she was alone" confirms that this is just a newspaper filler.

Madeleine has long gone and this story has now run its course.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next