Advertisements

International Relocation

Removals and Storage to Portugal

Caravans Wanted

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:43 pm 

itsmeagain wrote:
itsmeagain wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11754319

Is anyone going to defend the McCanns for publishing their own book whilst suppressing Amaral's?

So I guess the answer to my question is NO.

The answer is Yes. Amaral's book was suppressed because they said it was all libellous and damaging. Assuming Amaral is wrong, then they were justified. If Amaral is not wrong, then they still have the law on their side because his book is as close as it can get to calling them killers - it certainly calls them liars - and they have not been proven guilty of anything.

So absolutely they had a right to seek to suppress the book and absolutely they have a right to write their own book - as long as their book doesn't libel Amaral or damage anyone else's reputation.

Profile   WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:05 am 

I'm not so sure the Portuguese law is on their side. Libel is a lot less important in these parts than in UK (I could say "in almost all parts", I think, UK is unusually prickly on that matter).

But let's see what the judges (all the way to the Supreme Court, no doubt :roll: ) have to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:12 am 

tivinho wrote:
itsmeagain wrote:
itsmeagain wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11754319

Is anyone going to defend the McCanns for publishing their own book whilst suppressing Amaral's?

So I guess the answer to my question is NO.

The answer is Yes. Amaral's book was suppressed because they said it was all libellous and damaging. Assuming Amaral is wrong, then they were justified. If Amaral is not wrong, then they still have the law on their side because his book is as close as it can get to calling them killers - it certainly calls them liars - and they have not been proven guilty of anything.

So absolutely they had a right to seek to suppress the book and absolutely they have a right to write their own book - as long as their book doesn't libel Amaral or damage anyone else's reputation.

Except that the court does not think that Amaral is wrong - that's why they lifted the ban.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:48 pm 

itsmeagain wrote:
Except that the court does not think that Amaral is wrong - that's why they lifted the ban.

Which is fine. The thing about rights is that they sometimes have to be tested in a court of law and a judge decides. I don't think it signifies any kind of hypocrisy on their part.

Profile   WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:37 pm 

I disagree.

On the one hand they want to be able to publish their view of events whilst at the same time supressing an alternative view, even though a Court decided that the alternative view should be published.

Sounds hypocritical to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:38 am 

Marinho Pinto re-elected head of the Lawyers Order TSF

27 November 2010, 8:20 am
With thanks to Joana Morais for translation

António Marinho Pinto was re-elected as head of the Lawyers Order, achieving 9,532 votes from a total of 20,521 voters, according to information being advanced on the Order's website.

According to the Order's site, in the elections for the triennium 2011 - 2013, Fernando Fragoso Marques ended in second place with 5,991 votes, followed by Luís Filipe Carvalho, with 3,666.

These results are still provisional because they lack the votes for the District Council of Madeira, where the district assembly was suspended.

Nevertheless, in the elections to the Superior Council, the list connected to Fernando Fragoso Marques, led by Óscar Ferreira Gomes, secured victory with a total of 7,268 votes out of 19,584 voters.

Still according to the same source, the list connected to António Marinho Pinto, headed by Isabel Duarte, was the second most voted with 6,353 votes, ahead of the list of João Pereira da Rosa, with 3958 votes.

The aim of Marinho Pinto for the next triennium will be to consolidate reforms unleashed in his first term, like the access to Law and combating the massification of advocacy.

Note: This means Isabel Duarte, the McCanns' lawyer, has lost her candidacy to the Superior Council of the Lawyers Order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:52 pm 

Portuguese President Cabinet reply to "A Voice for Madeleine" Petition Joana Morais blogspot

Portuguese President Cabinet reply to "A Voice for Madeleine" Petition
Reply received by email, December 2, 2010
With thanks to Joana Morais for translation

Hon. Sir/Madam

I acknowledge the receipt and thank you for sending the exposure made by Your Excellency, requesting the reopening of the case concerning the disappearance of the minor Madeleine McCann.

Albeit understanding the reasons that motivate the referenced exposure, which, in the ambit of principles, reveals a highly commendable concern for the fate of a minor, I hereby inform you, that the matter in question does not fall within the competence of the Portuguese Republic President, a legal and constitutional framework that enshrines the separation of powers, that is, the independence of the judicial function and the autonomy of the Public Ministry.

Yours sincerely.

The Chief of Staff to the President

José Manuel Nunes Liberato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:30 am 

Isabel Duarte returns seized copies of 'Maddie - A Verdade da Mentira' to Guerra & Paz Joana Morais blogspot

By Joana Morais
09 December 2010

The 'formerly banned by the McCann couple' book, whose trustee, Isabel Duarte, the couple's lawyer affirmed that "nothing will force her to return them", in spite of a Superior Court ruling which obliged her to deliver the books to their rightful owner; have finally been returned to Guerra & Paz Editors. We, in this blog congratulate Guerra & Paz book publishers as well as the book author of "Maddie - A Verdade da Mentira", Gonçalo Amaral, for fighting and for standing up against the machiavelic censorship attempt by a couple of former arguidos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:58 am 

Ingles wrote:
Isabel Duarte returns seized copies of 'Maddie - A Verdade da Mentira' to Guerra & Paz Joana Morais blogspot

By Joana Morais
09 December 2010

The 'formerly banned by the McCann couple' book, whose trustee, Isabel Duarte, the couple's lawyer affirmed that "nothing will force her to return them", in spite of a Superior Court ruling which obliged her to deliver the books to their rightful owner; have finally been returned to Guerra & Paz Editors. We, in this blog congratulate Guerra & Paz book publishers as well as the book author of "Maddie - A Verdade da Mentira", Gonçalo Amaral, for fighting and for standing up against the machiavelic censorship attempt by a couple of former arguidos.

Probably her appeal was refused, as she very well knew it would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 am 

http://www.mccannfiles.com/imagelib/sit ... lx_pic1ban

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next