Advertisements

Architect Your Home

International Removals

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Viewing Trip Questions
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:30 am 

Hi Everyone. My husband and I are coming over in a few weeks for our first viewing trip. We are looking around the Caldas da Rainha and Miranda do Corvo area. Could anyone advise of any important questions I need to ask the estate agents regarding the properties. i.e. electricity supply, water supply, internet.

Are there any specific things I need to know to know about the utilities to help weigh up which is the right property for us.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank You

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:34 am 

Assuming you are buying a house that has been lived in before the first thing you should be deciding is location. Don't choose a property because it has septic tank/mains drains or borehole/mains water. You can get functional internet of some kind pretty much anywhere so all of those things are secondary and can be solved.

Way more important is the legality of the property, clear title, absence of lien and debt, structural integrity. Then you should consider impact of adjacent property, restriction of view if neighbours build in fact all the common sense criteria that you would apply when buying a house anywhere in the world.

Get a final selection of one or two properties in your mind, get surveys and costs from builders before you start to worry about what internet speed you may get - those things are easy to fix - subsidence is not.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:29 am 

and DO NOT rely on ANY answers given by estate agents.
they do NOT work for you..they work for, and are paid, by seller.

by all means ask and hear their answers but do NOT rely on them

get a solicitor lined up/onboard ready and willing to ask/answer questions as may arise
in other words dont wait until you have started process before double checking

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:12 pm 

crazy russian wrote:
and DO NOT rely on ANY answers given by estate agents.
they do NOT work for you..they work for, and are paid, by seller.

I agree 200% with this!

We have just sold our property prior to moving to the Lisbon area! Despite the heavy commission we have to pay to the estate agents, we had to do 50% of the heavy lifting talking to prospective purchasers.

One agent didn't know the difference between a "combi" boiler & a simple gas water heater!

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:26 pm 

The other thing to consider is a short term rental. The market in Portugal is still fairly flat and it gives you the opportunity to look before you leap.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:14 pm 

All good advice Thank You.

Location is our primary concern, and as mentioned we will of course get a solicitor and a survey carried out on the house before purchase.

On that point can anyone recommend a surveyor in the Caldas Da Rainha area? I have had a solicitor recommended but happy to have another one recommended.

We are also considering renting for a while to ensure we settle in the right place.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm 

The surveyor who did our house in Lagos does periodically travel from the Algarve to the Lisbon area. Caldas is not that far north of Lisbon.

If you like to pm me your email address, I will put you in touch with him.

Profile   WWW