Advertisements

Architect Your Home

Pure Portugal

Caravans Wanted

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:49 am 

Wondering if there is an equivalent to Citizens Advice Bureau in Portugal, preferably who can speak english? Having nightmares with NOS.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:00 pm 

Well there is always

https://www.deco.proteste.pt/reclamar

but not sure if they have Engish speakers.

What's the problem?

I'm an IT tech with 20yrs experience here & dealing the PT/MEO, NOS, vodafone. cabovisao/NOWO et al.

BTW I speak, read & write Portuguese & am quiet used to 'orribilising them! ;) !

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:27 pm 

barlaventoexpert wrote:
Well there is always

https://www.deco.proteste.pt/reclamar

but not sure if they have Engish speakers.

What's the problem?

I'm an IT tech with 20yrs experience here & dealing the PT/MEO, NOS, vodafone. cabovisao/NOWO et al.

BTW I speak, read & write Portuguese & am quiet used to 'orribilising them! ;) !

Thank you thats very kind of you.. its a very long story but I'll try.

First I spoke with an english speaking person on NOS phone lines, asked for home internet package for light use and also a mobile sim to be paid monthly by direct debit. So that was ordered, I then (unfortunately) went to one of their shops in Gaia Shopping to find out about the little box that means your flat can have wifi from the internet.. they didn't sell that but instead of sending me direct to Worten the assistant assured me that although my internet package was ordered, there was no record of my order of a mobile sim card ( presumably they get commission on sales) so I signed up for a sim there in the shop, got home 2 days later the sim that had been ordered on the phone arrived.
So I now had 2 sims on a monthly contract! It took almost 2 months of visits to NOS shops, countless phone calls. Even after the problem was sorted then I got pestered by more calls trying to fix a problem that had already been fixed ( Sigh).. a lot of time and energy wasted. Even one of the other NOS shop assistants thought I had probably been tricked into buying a second sim card so the sale assistant could get her commission. So that was my first encounter with NOS customer services.
I spend my time between UK & Portugal and have most bills set up as direct debits so i don't have to worry when Im abroad. 9 months later I got a surprise phone call from NOS telling me I owed them over €200 and that my internet and mobile would be cut off if i didn't pay! To avert being cut off I paid €100 but refused to pay the whole amount until it was explained how I owed them money. Over the next month I rang NOS around 10 times including having to make calls from UK, sometimes their customer services would tell me I was €100 in credit, the next time I'd be told I was still over €100 in debt to them.

They disconnected my internet & mobile. When I finally got to the bottom of it, I told that they had been taking direct debits from someone else's bank account to pay for my media service (although the IBAN i had provided was correct) and when the other person found out and complained then NOS came to me for the money.

Exasperated because this company has already wasted so much of my time and money on phone calls from UK, I paid the full amount owing and went to a shop asked for the form to terminate the contract and filled it in and gave it to them September 2016. So at that time I had no services from NOS they had already stopped my internet services and mobile number.

I then got a media contract with MEO, I returned to UK for the winter, a few months in Nov to my surprise I was sent an email bill from NOS services. I thought was some sort of fraudulent spam and ignored the first few times it came. But to my horror NOS have been taking money out of my account since November 2016 and apparently I can't stop even by asking the bank to stop the payments.

I think their argument may be that the original contract was for 24 months, but I presume I have the right to cancel the contract if I am not happy with services, which Im not they are the worst company I have ever had the horror to get entangled with I feel like Im caught in a sticky web of incompetence with company policy apparently only interested in extracting money rather than customer care.

I have gone to the shop, replied to the emails, spoken to someone over the phone, still the money is being taken from my account and I am being billed for services I am not receiving! I honestly feel like Im being robbed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:02 pm 

OW!

1) Can I ask were all the transactions done in English or Portuguese?

2) Do you have a record of all the dates of purchase,shops involved, invoices, contact with NOS etc.

3) You do mean GAIA Shopping, VN de Gaia.

I need to reflect on this overnight and then will comment.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:15 pm 

All the transactions were carried out in English - ( I would ask if I could speak to someone in English and they always found someone who spoke English to me).

I didn't unfortunately keep a record of dates, the only written evidence is my copy of the form terminating my contract Sept 2016, my bank statements and the emails the have sent invoicing me. Yes VN Gaia, but that was only the initial interaction 1 where I was sold the extra sim, and then one more occasion when I went back to try and get it resolved, since then I have tried several branches, in Porto, & Espinho. No one has been able to help me, nor even explain the situation. When I spoke to someone on the phone, they suggested I came into the shop to put in writing that I wanted to terminate my contract, I said I have already done that, so I cannot terminate a contract I have already terminated.

I was then told the contract automatically renewed after a period of 3 months after I cancelled it! When I said that surely should not be possible after I had given written notice, the lady when I pressed this point then insisted that I had renewed the contract myself ( while I was in UK).

Thanks for your time

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:46 am 

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I have been reflecting on your situation.

Firstly, I have done some research and it appears that NOS, who are part of the large Portuguese Multi-national group SONAE do not have a direct in-house ombudsman process.

You have found yourself in that situation which many expats do when they have to deal with technology, a new language, and rapacious telecoms sales people be it in Portugal, Spain or France.

I provide a service to people who want to want someone who has a technical understanding & speaks Portuguese to arrange & set up such systems. Trouble is people don't want to pay and consequently these type of horror stories arise.

In reality, in the absence of a written log of dates, names of persons you spoke to, this situation maybe problematic.

Technically, your way forward is to present a detailed complaint with timeline under the "Livro de Reclamações" process I referred to in a previous post.

The Portuguese Govt. has recently set up an online complaints site here:

https://www.livroreclamacoes.pt

&

https://www.livroreclamacoes.pt/apoio-utilizador

The site is available in English and apparently

This page on the Portuguese Telecoms Authority website does say that it may be possible to cancel contracts if you are not satisfied with the service.

http://www.anacom-consumidor.com/pergun ... ent_id=949

However, it then refers one to the "Livro de Reclamações" process above.

However, I'm not sure whether DECO,the independent consumer protection outfit, referred to in a previous post can provide advice in English. I could give them a shout tomorrow morning to find out.

In any event, this case seems so convoluted, that any complaint would need to be drafted in detail in Portuguese with a timeline, probably by someone like a solicitor who holds a proxy on you behalf. Do you have a copy of all the original invoices when you purchased the gear/service?

I would also point out that should not let this fester as any default in payment, it may result in affecting your Portuguese credit rating.

Hope this helps

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:00 pm 

Thank you, very much appreciate your time and advice and wish I had used your services before getting meshed with them already! I will take a moment to read and reflect on the links you have given me.

Best wishes Kat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:39 am 

If I can be of any more help feel free to post here or send me a pm.

Profile   WWW