Advertisements

International Relocation

Removals and Storage to Portugal

Caravans Wanted

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Electricity costs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:01 am 

Good morning all. I have used this forum over several years (albeit not frequently) starting when we bought our apartment 13 years ago.
We are now retired and looking into the "minutia" of bills etc as we will be living in PT on a fairly permanent basis. As such I would be grateful for some guidance on electricity bills. I am fine with gas and water as I have been told they are not "over the top" as far as costs are concerned but electric (like everywhere else) has various tariffs and I want to make sure we are on the best one for us.
We are a married couple late 50's on our own, never use the air con and with the exception of lights, tv, fridge and an electric over (gas hob) we have standard usage I would suggest. I have tried to communicate with EDP and although they have been helpful and I have signed up to their website I am still struggling to establish if we are on the correct and most useful tariff for us.
EDP have confirmed (after translation)
"Analyzed the situation we inform, that has contracted the simple tariff with the power of 4.60 KVA".
Is this the best for our situation/usage or could we do better, also is there a shop we could go into and discuss it with them (we are in the Vilamoura area).
Cheers in advance. PP.

Profile   WWW  

Post subject: Re: Electricity costs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:33 pm 

You don't say how you heat your water or provide space heating in the winter. If you use gas or electricity for these it will probably have a significant effect on your costs.

Your electricity costs have two components; a standing charge for the Potência (4.6kVA will cost you around €0,258 per day (€94,28 per year)) and a charge per unit of electricity used of around €0,203 per kWh.

The Potência is what limits the rate at which you can use electricity (ie the total power of appliances you can use simultaneously), in your case 4.6kVA, approximately 4.6kW. An oven or a kettle might be 1.5 to 2kW and a washing machine a little more.

You could reduce your contracted Potência to the next lower step of 3.45kVA which would cost approx €72.55 per year and save you around €22 but you might experience more occasions when you trip out your supply.

Despite the liberalised market, the prices offered by the various suppliers remain fairly similar so you will probably change your electricity costs more through lifestyle choices than by supplier/tariff choices.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:30 pm 

RichardHenshall wrote:
You don't say how you heat your water or provide space heating in the winter. If you use gas or electricity for these it will probably have a significant effect on your costs.

Your electricity costs have two components; a standing charge for the Potência (4.6kVA will cost you around €0,258 per day (€94,28 per year)) and a charge per unit of electricity used of around €0,203 per kWh.

The Potência is what limits the rate at which you can use electricity (ie the total power of appliances you can use simultaneously), in your case 4.6kVA, approximately 4.6kW. An oven or a kettle might be 1.5 to 2kW and a washing machine a little more.

You could reduce your contracted Potência to the next lower step of 3.45kVA which would cost approx €72.55 per year and save you around €22 but you might experience more occasions when you trip out your supply.

Despite the liberalised market, the prices offered by the various suppliers remain fairly similar so you will probably change your electricity costs more through lifestyle choices than by supplier/tariff choices.

Hot water is via a combi boiler and if heat is required it is either via a log burning fire in the lounge but we do have 2 oil fired (thermostatically) controlled plug in heaters.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:45 pm 

Oil-filled radiators are comfortable and quiet but you may find that using your aircon to provide heat (if it can) is more economical as you will get three or four times the amount of heat that you pay for.

Your Potência of 4.6kVA sounds about right to me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:35 pm 

RichardHenshall wrote:
Oil-filled radiators are comfortable and quiet but you may find that using your aircon to provide heat (if it can) is more economical as you will get three or four times the amount of heat that you pay for.

Your Potência of 4.6kVA sounds about right to me.

Much obliged Richard. The aircon units can indeed provide heat and if it's more economical would be worth considering setting the units for when we come in. I would have thought the oil heaters being on a thermostat would be more economical, I shall of course bow to your knowledge. Many thanks.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:28 pm 

The aircon should also be thermostat controlled.

They definately make heat more efficiently than normal electric heaters, including the oil filled type.

Alan

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:36 pm 

You are doing extremely well not to have the aircon on, I still have it on for part of the evening. I would say that you shouldn't need heating in the winter. I live in Vilamoura and it would rarely drop below 19-20 day and around 14 at night
As many have said check the supply to see what you are getting. The EDP in Loule are very helpful. Inframoura is based in Vilamoura and they are also very helpful re the water meters.