Advertisements

Architect Your Home

Pure Portugal

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:24 am 

Hi all

I've been with Novo Banco for about 12 years (since it was BES), but I'm increasingly dissatisfied. They no longer provided dedicated people to contact; the people I do get hold of don't reply or take weeks to; their advice is contradictory and it takes weeks to resolve minor issues; and they've introduced additional fees (now costing about €13 per month just to have an account with a card).

This has been tolerable until now, but if we're to make a permanent move soon, I want to be sure I have the best provider.

I know banking in Portugal is not like the UK, and it's going to cost something. However, does anyone have positive experiences of other banks, so I can narrow my search?

Thank!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 am 

Maybe you have the wrong type of account. We pay 5,20€ per month and have 2 x Visa Electron and 2 x Visa Credit Card included with no additional charges on issue or renewal. Our nominated Relationship Manager's name, email and phone numbers are shown on statements and his photo is also shown when logged into online banking.

Have you inadvertently (been) signed up for possibly unnecessary account package benefits such as Serviço de Utilização Tranquila that used to be free but are now chargeable?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 pm 

Thanks Richard

I was on the "BES 360" package, which was about €1 per month more than that (which I could live with) - but most evidence of that has disappeared (it still says it at the top, but the relationship manager section was deleted months ago) - the service has reduced, and the costs risen, all without any information or my agreement.

What bugs me more than the cost, is the emails from them saying "we're really busy, we can't deal with you right now" and then never replying...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:54 pm 

We pay €7.50 /mo at NB and have two multibanco cards, two Visa CC, no renewals or fees, and have a few other services we opted for. Also, our account rep is listed and responds. This is the Caldas da Rainha location.

We had a terrible time with the folks in Lisboa. No/slow response, incorrect information.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:15 pm 

Thanks - that's interesting. As I would be moving my branch, maybe that will help with the situation...