Advertisements

Architect Your Home

Pure Portugal

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:12 pm 

My husband is Portuguese and American, I am American. We just purchased a home in Aljezur for our retirement. We will need to move our household goods from San Antonio Texas to Espartal in Aljezur. My understanding is that we r allowed to do this once tax free. Can anyone recommend companies that do this, and how long it typically takes and costs?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:13 pm 

Triskeliongirl wrote:
> My husband is Portuguese and American, I am American. We just purchased a
> home in Aljezur for our retirement. We will need to move our household
> goods from San Antonio Texas to Espartal in Aljezur. My understanding is
> that we r allowed to do this once tax free. Can anyone recommend companies
> that do this, and how long it typically takes and costs?

Not sure you already have done this - we are going through the process now and planning the move end April / early May. We've been in the US (Michigan) for 4 years, I'm English and my wife Portuguese.

The moving company said that we need:
--------------------------
Document issued at origin country:

 (Original) Baggage Certificate – This can be obtained at a Portuguese Embassy or Consulate of the country you are leaving. Please ask to include Cancelation of Residence declaration if your current legal residence is at origin country. It must state that you resided on the origin country for more than 12 months and mention the date when you are transferring your main residence to Portugal.

Documents required prior to shipment arrival to Portugal:

 (Original) Residence Certificate – This can be obtained in the ‘Junta de Freguesia’ closest to your residence in Portugal. It must mention the date of your arrival to Portugal and the date of issue can’t be older than 6 months. The address must the same as the one associated to the fiscal number.

 (Copy) Portuguese Fiscal Number – This is known as ‘Número de Contribuinte’ or ‘NIF’ in Portugal. It can be easily obtained at a ‘Serviço de Finanças’. This document cannot be associated with a legal representative (which happens when you already have a Portuguese fiscal number and live abroad) and the address must be the same as the one on the Residence Certificate.
---------------------

... in order to avoid the import tax. I understand there are 2 consulates that may be able to help - one in Chicago and one in Washington DC.

We already have property in Cascais (one we purchased in 2006 and another a year ago) and both have fiscal numbers. One complication we have is that we are not canceling our green cards / residency yet. If you'd like, I can keep you updated on what we find out (?).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:00 am 

Thank u so much for the reply. We are not relocating permanently until April 2020, so I would appreciate any further info. as your move progresses. We are going to visit our property next week and start setting it up to vacation in. What stores have u found that are good for the purchase of typical household goods, i.e. kitchenware, bedding, electrical fixtures, and mattresses. WE know about IKEA but not much else. In USA we are used to chains like Bed, Bath and Beyond, Home Depot, Lowes, and of course Amazon. We want good quality at best prices. I did make an order from Amazon UK and had it shipped to my in-laws place near Faro, but some of the deliveries messed up, not sure why. Feel free to email me privately at triskeliongirl@gmail.com. All the best with your move! -eileen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:13 pm 

You perhaps need to visit the Algarve IKEA when you are on vacation and see for yourselves whether you are ok with the quality of the stuff they offer. ( I would be for basics, albeit nobody wants to fill their house with ONLY Ikea stuff.)

i believe they can deliver now ~you could maybe check that aspect online.

I don't know how big your place is at Aljezur, or whether it has some furniture already ?

My own suggestion would be that you consider buying just the very basics sufficient for you to get by from Ikea ~so mattress / small dining table / couple of chairs ~then you can live there at least and then, as you will be retired ? ~take your time pottering about locally and further afield acquiring some nice pieces which you really like.

Of course it depends on taste but if you like the older style, heavy wood wardrobes and sideboards and so on there are plenty of sources for that stuff second hand, whether online or carboot sales and so on ~but it takes time and patience to get the stuff you really like.

But maybe you could combine that kind of search with exploring Portugal East and North of Aljezur.

Also, if you have a more contemporary taste, you can show a picture of furniture you like ( or your own sketch of what you would like ) to a competent ( so ~recommended ! ) carpenter, and s/he will be able to construct it for you and you can choose your own fabrics or leathers to cover the cushions.

Can be nice to give work to local artisans.