International Relocation

Pure Portugal

Caravans Wanted

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Studying at UAlg Faro
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:33 am 

Hi fellow members,

I have decided to undertake a post graduate course at Universidade do Algarve (Faro, Gambelas campus) in September. I have been over four or five times already this year for interviews and meeting with staff there etc.

I will be there permanently from next week and was just looking to know if anybody on this forum knows or knew anyone who completed studies there?

I have some contacts in the Portimao and Alvor area and will be hoping they can steer me right in relation to settling in etc.

As yet, I am debating as to whether to live in Faro area or commute from Portimao.
In relation to transport, I was looking at the option of buying a scooter, not to commute but to get around in whatever centre I decide to live in.

As a mature student in my late 40's I would consider myself wise to the the world but would appreciate any tips on how to avoid scams in relation to buying transportation or agreeing accommodation lease agreements etc.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:33 pm 

Commuting from Portimao is too much of a journey each day. Disregarding the cost and the time it's not an especially safe or easy trip - especially on a scooter.

Up to early twenties you are considered immortal and will bounce if you fall off a scooter or motor bike. As you advance in years, from personal experience, it hurts much more and takes infinitely more time to recover. The EN125 is probably one of the most dangerous roads in civilized Europe - not for the feint hearted.

Faro is a great city and a fun area to live in anyway - quite a big uni with folks from all over the place and a good social scene. Accommodation scams are unlikely but check with someone who has been there a while before parting with money. Motor traders are the same the world over and there are no magic answers to dealing with them.

Some great exploring to be done and lots of local facilities - you will have a great time !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:28 am 

MrBife, thanks for taking the time to reply. I was thinking along the same lines as yourself, that the scooter would be used to get around locally and not to commute.
I am looking at using the train for this. I will be checking it out on doing a trip on it this day next week.

I am also going to look at a possibility of renting an apartment in Olhao and use this as my base for the duration.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:03 pm 

Olhão would be an easy commute to Faro ( ? though how far is the University from Faro station ? ). You are allowed to take bikes on the train, if you should need one to get from Faro station to the Uni.

I confess I don't really know Faro, but just from the fact that it is a large, crowded, city ( I have read that it has interesting buildings in the historic centre, but otherwise has dreary modern high rises and so on ) I would have thought Olhão would be a much more pleasant place in which to have your base.

For starters ~do you even need to be at the University five days a week ?

Olhão is a medium sized town, with interesting buildings, and attractions such as the central markets, plus a shopping centre ( slightly out of town - maybe a 20 25 minute walk from the central area where there are bars overlooking the sea ) which has a large supermarket, various restaurant options and a cinema.

Olhão is small enough to cycle, or even walk around.

My suggestion would be stay for a few days at the very reasonably priced

Pensão Bicuar http://www.pensionbicuar.com

( run by an English speaking couple who can give lots of advice on local stuff ) and just see how you like the 'vibe' in Olhão....... I suspect you will find it much more agreeable than Faro, but please report back on your findings !

There are quite a few estate agencies in Olhão, mostly dealing with sales, but also as a sideline rentals. You should be able to get a reasonable 1 bed to rent for 500Euros pcm or maybe even less. As well as the estate agencies you could check out the notice boards at the Pingu supermarket.
Also ask Jeff ( at Bicuar ) if any of his staff know of anyone renting a place, and looking for a tenant.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:13 pm 

rhys, many thanks for taking the time to reply and give me some useful hints and tips.
I have looked at one place in Olhão and also a few up in Loulé. I am awaiting to hear back from a potential landlord there who said they may have a T2 apartment available in October.
I have also made contact with a few fellow students via a FB page and may also look at this option to share a T2 or T3.

You are correct in stating that I probably don't need to be there 5 days per week as having just received my timetable I have classes Tue-Fri until mid December.

One of my main requirements is somewhere with a balcony where I can do my home brewing to let the sweet aromas of malted barley and addition of hops waft through the air and keep me sane as a long held past-time :)

I am still looking at the idea of buying a scooter to get around and that is my next priority. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

I will certainly take your advice and contact Jeff ( at Bicuar ) and will also look at Pensão Bicuar.

I have met a few Expats so far and have got a few invaluable nuggets of information from them as to what to do and more importantly what not to do here.

Regards,

Sligonian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:44 pm 

I know Olhão reasonably well having purchased a flat there some years ago ( a whole other story of disaster but let that pass ~ the place itself is still attractive ).

Elsewhere on this Forum I got the impression you had taken up an option in Portimão ~ is that not the case ?

If Olhão is still a possibility for you then I would urge you to invest ASAP two or so days and nights there, staying at the Bicuar ( which is v central ) and pottering around.

There is NO need to buy a moped for getting around Olhão ~it is almost totally flat ( some gentle sloping uphill from downtown to the area a mile and a half away where the Shopping Centre is ) and an old fashioned push bike with a wicker basket for shopping will be ALL you need.

A moped will be much heavier to drag on and off the train for your commute to and from Faro. I am not even sure mopeds are permitted but pushbikes certainly are as I used this service a couple of months ago between Cacela and Tavira. [ How far is the Uni from Faro Stn. ? Is it far enough to need a bike in fact or is it an easy walk ? ]

You can find a second hand bike in various ways : notice board ads at Pingu supermarket, also online with OLX, or maybe at the University there will be a noticeboard for things like that amongst students.

There is a fully fledged bike shop in Rua Almirante Reis, at the area where it crosses with Rua da Liberdade. You could call in there if you are minded to invest in a new bike ( or they might have suggestions for 2nd hand ones ). For that matter, opposite the bike shop there is a very 'local' shop which has notices in it for sale of cheapo houses. i did not notice if that gent also posts notices for rentals but it would be worth asking him anyway ( some of the owners wanting a sale might nevertheless take the opportunity of a fixed term rental for the academic year, or even just till the end of this calendar year ).

You shd not have difficulty finding somewhere with a balcony, or even roof terrace ( ' açoteia ' ) or back yard for your fermenting needs.

What sort of money were you wanting to pay for your rental ?

And what are you paying at the moment ? It might be in your interest to get a shortish term rental asap till the end of the year if you can find one very cheap, just to start saving money, have your own base, and be able to keep eyes and ears open for somewhere really nice for after Christmas ?

I repeat that Jeff may well have ideas or knowledge of people seeking a rental.

Have you looked at https://algarvedailynews.com

You could put your own ad in there for free I think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:44 am 

So................

How did it all go in the end ?

Nice place ? Good fellow students ? How many Portuguese vs Foreigners ?