Advertisements

International Relocation

Removals and Storage to Portugal

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:43 am 

Good day everyone,

I am so glad to have found this forum.
My wife and I will be moving to Portugal. My wife is highly qualified, MBA, Degree and has worked for many big companies but currently consulting for PWC.

Myself, I have an electronics engineering back ground, I worked for Samsung head office ( Service, technical training, tech support and analysis of Samsung stores reporting to Korea ) for more than 10yrs and just recently moved to help launch a new department for a supermarket franchise. A completely different field that being a delicatessen. Using data analysis ( as I learnt from Samsung ) I am proud to say I have the highest turnover and profit when compared to the other stores with the same department. Despite the store being in the poorest area and having half the amount of customers.

We have two children, a boy 3yrs old and a little girl 10 months old.
We both have Portuguese citizenship through our parents. Our Portuguese is not fluent but I am sure after a few months it will be perfectly fine.

Could anyone recommend a good recruitment agency(s)?
We are too scared to make the move until we are sure of work. We will be flying over next year.

Thank you and I look forward to many more topics and discussions.

Regards
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:27 am 

Hello and welcome to the forum, i just joined too and it seems like everyone is hibernating at the moment
what area of portugal you looking at , im in lisboa and i cant stand the city so im going south

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:17 am 

Hi, Yeah seems like it.

I know that Lisboa has allot more work but because I will be moving from a sunny part of the world, someone suggested to move to Algarve or somewhere similar thats warm so at least the change in weather is not so much different compared to home for my family.

I do not do well in cold weather. So Ill keep looking from here for work then will make the move. I am considering doing an MBA or studying something more to add on to my experience. I did allot of advising for Samsung on some of their businesses using data so I am considering a small course to get something to go with my experience. Thats also why I am trying to find out if a small course is even worth it or I should go and do the MBA. I may be in the middle of doing the MBA and we need to move.

What about yourself Duke748? How long you been in Portugal? What line of work you in? Hows the experience been?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:23 am 

i guess there is more work in lisbon than elsewhere, i know there are lots of call centers,the weather is good in lisbon the sun is out right now and its pleasant
im currently running a guesthouse in the city centre but the building has been sold so in the new year im looking to go south and start a new project

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:22 am 

Hi and welcome to the forum. I cannot help with work related questions as we are retired
so have our pensions/savings and don´t need to worry about work.
I will say that there is a lot of unemployment here for the Portuguese so I suggest you do
a lot of research before you decide to move here. Or maybe your skills are in high demand
and you will be lucky. Or maybe there is more work in the Algarve - sorry, I don´t know as
I only know about the Tomar area.

As for language, we still struggle terribly after 9 years (our one "downside" to living here).
However, as you seem to already have a basis of Pt. and with children who will pick it up
very quickly, you will probably be fluent in no time.

Hopefully other people will have better knowledge to help you. We certainly love living here.
Good luck with your search.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:31 pm 

Thank you TopMast,

Yes, unemployment is high in certain areas. From where I am currently in South Africa, there are allot of big companies here moving offices to Portugal. Lets see in time I think the unemployment rate will improve. I hope with my experience that I can find something and as I mentioned even study something before to improve my chances.
As I mentioned I am struggling to find any recruitment agency or someone that can advise on skills required.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:45 am 

Hi and welcome to the forum from me. I'm not able to provide any personal recommendation but there's a list of recruitment agencies here - don't know whether that's any help to you or whether you've already combed through these during your searches.

I suspect being remote might not help in your searches - the Portuguese seem to prefer to deal in person a lot of the time. A lot of posters complain, for example, about slow or lack of response to emails or enquiries about property etc.

Good luck in your mission - it would be very interesting to know how you get on and obviously ask away on anything else that comes to mind.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:35 am 

Thank you X Camone,

I did go through the list and allot takes me to companies pages to apply to work there. Not many recruitment agencies.

I am considering paying a visit to my old team at Samsung HQ to see if they can assist me with work at Samsung Portugal. I did check on their sit but nothing really suited for my skills. I may have to try the competitor if I have to.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:24 am 

Aaargh - did I forget to include the link? My post makes no sense whatever without it but it's not there now. I assume it can't have just disappeared and at the least I suppose it might give you some places to send a CV and make an enquiry.

Here's what I meant to include :
https://www.e-konomista.pt/artigo/empre ... rutamento/