Advertisements

Storage Express

Pure Portugal

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:16 pm 

I am retired, living in Florida. After researching many countries to which to retire, I decided it is Portugal for me. The actual move will not happen for at least a year. Much to do before. Also having dogs is complicating my move. Problem is how to get them there. I am very acitive and enjoy the outdoors. Portugal offers all I enjoy and more. My area of focus is Algarve. I enjoy the weather and beauty. Will be wonderful to get out of the heat and oppressive humidity. I have been researching the laws of relocating to Portugal. There’s much to learn. Additionally I am applying for dual citizenship in Italy. This will take longer than my hopeful departure from USA. We will see.
Looking forward to getting know everyone.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:49 pm 

Welcome
I have just moved to algarve and i totaly love it here
im sure you will too
have you already visited portugal

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:20 pm 

As an Italian citizen you will have automatic rights to live in any EU country. Others can advise you on what you need to do as a non European Union citizen. Certainly health insurance and proof of suficient income to live here will be on the list.
Best of luck.
Alan

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:05 pm 

Thank you for your response. I am sorry I was not clear. I’m American Italian. I have been to Portugal and going again in November. I do have lots to learn about living legally. I am aware of proof of income. The amount seems to vary from source to source. I will have health insurance.
I was planning on renting until I know exactly where I want to be. But I am concerned the prices are rising safest that I’ll have less choices when I buy.

Thank you any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:32 pm 

As far as prices are concerned, I think the Algarve where you are looking, Lisbon and Porto, are the hot spots. I live in Central Portugal and there are hundreds of properties which have been available for years. If price is bothering you, cast your net a little further afield.
Wherever you end up I am sure you will love it here.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:05 am 

Your initial instinct ( to rent for at least a few months before you commit to purchase in a particular area ) is absolutely correct.

Do NOT feel pressured into buying just because prices are rising, especially if you are flexible as to where you wish to end up.

Even in the Algarve, there are variations as between East and West, and right on the coast vs inland a bit : it ALL needs exploring for at least a few months before you make the commitment to purchasing.

If you start off in , say, September or October, you should get an out of season holiday flat fairly cheaply ~ go for one which has absolutely all bills ( including good wifi / sat TV ) included. I would think you could get a modest flat in a coastal resort for 3 months at maybe Euros 850 ~1000 per month . You would have the option to extend the rental for another three months into the spring / early summer.

That would be a good base from which to explore.

And is it a certainty that you will get Italian citizenship ? if so some of your concerns are taken care of ~especially basic health care.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:48 pm 

So sorry I took so long to respond. Been too busy. Thank you for all your information. Looking forward to learning more.