Advertisements

Portugal Expats Travel Insurance

Removals and Storage to Portugal

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:44 am 

Both Vodafone Portugal and TMN have launched in the past week Prepaid Mobile Broadband internet services.

These are ideal for persons making regular but short visits to Portugal or any one visiting Portugal who needs internet access.

I have written up more information in this article on my IT Blog:

http://barlaventositblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/prepaid-mobile-broadband-portugal.html

Profile   WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:15 am 

I checked out both of these packages on my last trip, and unfortunately Vodafone insist on a 10 euro top up every 120 days. Since this can only be done in a Vodafone shop or at a Multibanco that was a deal breaker for us.

The TMN package doesn't have obligatory top ups so that sounds like a better deal if you're out of the country for more than three months at a time. Unfortunately both offer only pitiful speed of 512kbps download and 384 kbps upload so not even up quite up to GPRS bandwidth :-(

Kind regards
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:20 am 

davew wrote:
I checked out both of these packages on my last trip, and unfortunately Vodafone insist on a 10 euro top up every 120 days. Since this can only be done in a Vodafone shop or at a Multibanco that was a deal breaker for us.

The TMN package doesn't have obligatory top ups so that sounds like a better deal if you're out of the country for more than three months at a time. Unfortunately both offer only pitiful speed of 512kbps download and 384 kbps upload so not even up quite up to GPRS bandwidth :-(

Kind regards
Dave

Dave,

Sorry to contradict you but TMN have exactly the same 120 day recharge policy.

If you go to this page (in portuguese)

http://www.tmn.pt/portal/site/tmn/menuitem.0204b1bea2d53c6dd205fb10751056a0/?vgnextoid=41c118d7a0f2a110VgnVCM1000005401650aRCRD

in the fine print at the bottom it says:

"Para manter o serviço activo basta efectuar um carregamento a cada 120 dias."

This is exactly the same policy as Vodafone.

The units used sim cards like mobile phones and can be recharged at any post office, shop with the PAYSHOP sign or shop that does phone recharging.

As regards pitiful speed, I disagree. Its quite adequate for a basic pay as you go broadband service for emails and basic webbrowsing.

When I started here ten years ago we were lucky to have 36.6 kbps on dial up and when ISDN came along with 64 kbps we were over the moon.

Profile   WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:28 pm 

Hi barlaventoexpert

I'm a bit useless with technology so could you tell me if I'd have to buy the dongle thingy from vodaphone or just their chip. Could I bring a dongle thingy from the UK and have it chipped so I could use a portuguse vodaphone chip in it.

Thanks

Debray

Profile   WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:02 pm 

debray wrote:
Hi barlaventoexpert

I'm a bit useless with technology so could you tell me if I'd have to buy the dongle thingy from vodaphone or just their chip. Could I bring a dongle thingy from the UK and have it chipped so I could use a portuguse vodaphone chip in it.

Thanks

Debray

You could only use a non-vodafone.pt dongle if it has been unblocked. You need to make sure that the one you purchase in the UK is unblocked, then you can purchase the sim card here from vodafone.

If you cannot get an unblocked one from the UK you would then need to purchase a dongle from Vodafone Portugal as well.

Profile   WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:59 am 

Quote:

Well spotted, you're absolutely right. So I wonder how come they can claim

Quote:
Sem carregamentos obrigatórios,
só precisa de carregar quando quiser navegar.

...at the top of the same page? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:29 am 

davew wrote:
Quote:

Well spotted, you're absolutely right. So I wonder how come they can claim

Quote:
Sem carregamentos obrigatórios,
só precisa de carregar quando quiser navegar.

...at the top of the same page? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Much as I love Portugal and it has leaped quantum years since I first came here in 1967, legal niceties involving consumer protection such as that which you quoted above still have a long way to go,

However, DECO the national consumer protection association is already on the case. They were interviewed over the week-end on local TV because they believe the fact that all three mobile operators Vodafone/TMN/Kanguru are running a cartel on this as their prices are all the same. They are asking the government to look into it. No doubt, items like the one you spotted may be addressed as part of this.

Profile   WWW