Storage Express

Montis

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: To Paint or Limewash...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:14 pm 

... That is the question, or is it?

Our house looked all lovely and white when we moved in 2 years ago, but now many cracks have appeared on the westside and green algae and moss have lifted a lot of the paint on the northside. I believe it was done with plastic paint and I suppose we will have to plastic paint over the cracks on the southside as it would be difficult for other types of paint to stick.

We've started to jetwash off the flaking paint on the northside and will be able to get most of it off so I was wondering whether limewash would have better resistance to greening and flaking than plastic paint. Hopefully somebody can answer. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:36 pm 

Limewash or whitewash is widely used in Spain, and Greece, (the white villages) and I think looks really good, however to keep looking its best it really needs to be applied once a year on the outside of buildings.
That said it is easier to apply, and is literally foolproof. (it looks good even if you've never lifted a paint brush before.) :D

You makes your choice Big Nora. :D

Gemini

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:06 pm 

Couple of other benifits, it reduces porosity and has anti-algae/sterilising properties, downside need to really do yearly and keep splashes off skin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:25 am 

Thanks for the replies. I found a really good site which tells a lot about lime and how to apply it: http://www.mikewye.co.uk/faqs.htm but of course it's a UK site and I don't know which kinds of lime are available here. I asked in MaxMat about cal and the bags they had in stock the chap said were not for paint but for cement mixes.
Actually, Chas & Linda from what I've read, limewash is good because it is porous and therefore will allow the non damp-proofed wall underneath to breathe out the moisture. Our traditional stone house has been rendered with normal cement which reduces breathability and which cracks with movement - sigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:25 am 

A good builders merchants should have lime to mix for a wash, (not your neck of the woods, but a b/m in Tabua has bins of lime and dyes you buy by the kilo) MaxMart bit more accented to "modern" finishes. Totally right about breathing, should have thought through what I meant, in UK a lot of the limestone building erosion is due to the Victorian practise of applying a clear limewash to stone no longer being done, which protected/bound stone from elements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:19 pm 

I think there are modern types of limewash that, for example, don't make yoy get all white if you lean against them. But I don't know if they keep all the old properties.

There is a company that makes good traditional renderings, paints, washes, apparently:

http://www.fradical.pt/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:53 pm 

Thanks for that link Lobito, looks interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:25 am 

Hi Big Nora,

We are renovating our cottage here in the UK and last summer we rendered the outer walls with lime render and the inner walls with horsehair lime render. We then used coloured limewash inside and out. We did this because we did not want to use the usual silicone damp proofing methods on the stone exterior walls of the cottage. The cottage now appears to "breath" as it was designed to do when originally built and we have had no damp problems with damp in the walls over the winter.

The thing with lime wash is that it actually needs to "bind" with the lime render to which it is applied. It will then harden over time and become part of the substrate. However cement render does not "breath" like lime renders and I doubt also that the limewash will bind very well with the cement render. A bit more research could be worthwhile as to the suitability of your cement render to accept limewash before buying the limewash.

Our lime products supplier has told us that interest in lime based products for building works and renovation has never been so great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:29 am 

If you go down the paint route it's well worth going in to your local builders merchants and get them to arrange a visit from their paint supplier. We had the man from Dyrop out this week to advise on what paint we needed for the issues we have at no cost what so ever and the guy from the builders merchants even came out to translate. :thumbup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:55 am 

FlyFisher wrote:
If you go down the paint route it's well worth going in to your local builders merchants and get them to arrange a visit from their paint supplier. We had the man from Dyrop out this week to advise on what paint we needed for the issues we have at no cost what so ever and the guy from the builders merchants even came out to translate. :thumbup:

But I doubt they will propose anything like limewash.