Advertisements

Storage Express

Pure Portugal

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scalibor collars online?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:35 pm 

Got a shock today when I bought 2 more long Scalibor collars from the vet - they had gone up since 5 months ago from 18.50 to 21.35. Does anyone know any Portuguese websites where you can buy them more cheaply? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:10 pm 

unfortunately not. BtW, I tried using the collars from the UK (Wilkinsons own brand), supposed to be effective for fleas & ticks, but they didn't work AT ALL here - my dog was covered in ticks, alive & well! Also, my friend's vet told her that the scalibor collars don't work once the get dirty, so they're ok if you have a house dog, but not if your dog rolls around in the dirt all day, & loves playing in water, making the spot on type treatments ineffective. I just remove the ticks every day, & would give a course of tick fever tablets if she showed any signs of being under the weather. (available from any pharmacy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:42 pm 

well... have to say that I still were picking up ticks with brand new scalibor. not as many though...

Post subject: scalibor flea collars
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:11 am 

We have just bought our scalibor collars at our local pharmacy in Reguenos, one large, one medium and the cost came to 31 euros for the two, we happened to notice last year that the animal stuff was in a cabinate with horse wormers ect. Perhaps getting them from the vet is more expensive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:38 am 

There's a few UK online suppliers but you might lose saving in P&P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:01 am 

Thanks for all the replies. For some reason Chas & Linda, I thought the UK online pharmacy I use for worming pills didn't do the collars but I've just looked again and they do. However, although they are only £11.39 they are not quite the same. The UK ones don't do fleas, although thus far they have never been a problem for our dogs. Oddly, the UK ones say they also "control" (!) against mosquitoes, which the Portuguese ones don't, so maybe they would be better.
I will also ask a local pharmacy to see what the story is there as I prefer to buy locally when it's not too different in price.

Post subject: scalibor flea collars
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:52 pm 

On the pamphlet for the scalibor collars there is a map with lots of mosquitos dotted on the areas from France , Spain, Portugal ect, it does appear to indicate that they do repel mosquito! We had used the collars on our lurcher and scottish deerhound and in 14 months that we lived here, have found they work well,we are surrounded by grazing sheep and goats and long grass, the horses had terrible tick problems, but luckily the vet recomended stuff for them, which works but is really expensive 82 euros, but at the end of the day I would rather pay out than have ticks on my animals, they are such unsavoury critters arent they! But having said all that a lady who we have got to know whilst we have been here said the collars didnt work for her dog( which has been here for years) so doesnt wear one, has just died of leishmaniose. It is such a worry and a responsibilty having our furry friends, good luck with what ever you choose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:21 pm 

perhaps it's better to take a note of the chemicals & proportions in the scalibor collars, then compare them with UK cheaper alternatives. If they are the same, the cheaper/UK collar should work just as well (I didn't do this when I tried a cheaper alternative)

Tip - if you don't like squashing the ticks (the "baked bean" type are particularly horrid, when they explode their ooze everywhere), put them in a small jar & seal it up tight, they'll be dead the next day, then you can have a mini fire in a tin can to burn the bodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:04 pm 

You're right Willwright, the pamphlet does show a map of Mosquito distribution. However, the next page seems to imply that what they are calling mosquitoes are really sand flies! I think this because it says mosquitos (flebotomos) and then mentions that Mosquito can cause a series of sicknesses like leichmanosis, which as far as I'm aware is caused by sand flies (flebotomas)!
It's very confusing, but the UK Scalibor colars say they protect against sand flies and ticks AND control (whatever that means) mosquitoes.

Our outdoor dogs have always (since we inherited them) worn pt Scalibor collars and mostly they work fairly well.

Jill, if I do get the UK collars I will look at the ingredients - thanks for the thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:29 pm 

Last year I bought two Scalibor collars for our dogs thinking I was getting the best protection for them.
One started frantic scratching after 2 weeks and it turned out she had just a couple of fleas but an allergy to the bites ...... she's never had fleas before. When I removed the collar her neck was red raw and had bald patches.
The other dog had many fleas and several ticks!
I emailed the company and asked them why I had paid so much for such a useless piece of plastic, they took the batch numbers from the collars etc and in return sent me PulvEXspot for on the back of the neck. They also said that due to the amount of rain we had last year it made ideal conditions for all critters and so there is a lot more about.
I started with the PulvEXspot in Oct last year and it has worked very well over the winter ...... until this March ....... the ticks are back. I am quite convinced that nothing really works that well as I have tried all makes now. I will keep using it though as at least I know I have tried and done my best for the doogies.