Advertisements

Storage Express

Pure Portugal

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:37 pm 

Hi,
Anyone out there had experience of building an eco pool / natural swimming pool? Having got a bit frustrated trying to have a decent swim in a big tin bath full of chlorine, we fancy building something along the lines of that shown in David Pagan-Butler's DVD, and would be very interested to hear of other people's experiences with this type of pool/pond in Portugal.
In particular -
- Did you go for liner or reinforced concrete?
- Suppliers of EPDM liners that will deliver to central Portugal
- Names of any plants that you have had success with in this type of pool and suppliers of same
- Has the concept worked for you?
- If you have built such a pool, could we come and have a look?
We have already looked at Robert Conway's excellent example near Figueiro dos Vinhos, but are keen to get as much input as possible before biting the bullet.....
Thanks
Graham

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:47 am 

Tried to convince Lynda to go for one with no success, liners are easily available across Portugal but you still need planning permission but can also go down route of a water reservoir rather than pool which can be refused, good luck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:12 pm 

Our relatives have turned a stone irrigation tank into a pool using multiple layers of silicone paint, which is refreshed a couple of times per year.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:34 pm 

Hi there,

i have found over the last 8 years of living here that the best person to speak to about these type of pools is a lady living in the Beiras region .
here are her details:

http://quintacabecadomato.blogspot.pt/

her name is Caryn. and i have told her you may be in touch,

details and photos,videos of their eco-pool:
http://quintacabecadomato.blogspot.pt/2 ... ogica.html

Member of Civil Protection Forest Fires Service

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:27 pm 

Thanks for all the replies so far. Our local Camara is pretty reasonable - they say if you call it a pond, it doesn't need planning permission...
We will certainly be getting in touch with Caryn up near Tabua and will go and take a look at her bio pool.
If anyone has spotted any other Natural Swimming Pools in Central Portugal, we would be glad to hear about them.
Thanks
Graham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:53 pm 

hi due&grahamellis -

did you build an eco pool? do you definitely not need permission from the figueiro dos vines council?

cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:29 pm 

Hi SaoSimao,
Yes, we have gone ahead with building the pool. Started last October, and now probably 75% complete. The liner is in, and we are now working on the wall to the swimming area and the filtration system. It is quite large, about 200 sq metres, and is a lot of work, but should be worth it when finished. I have let sleeping dogs lie as far as planning permission is concerned, taking the view that it is just a garden pond really........
You are welcome to come and take a look if you are interested.
Cheers
Graham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:49 pm 

Hi Graham!

Thanks ever so much for getting back to me.

Exciting stuff! I'm very interested in getting an eco / freshwater pool and I will be coming over end of August.

I understand that a big space is needed; I was told that i'd need 15m2 x 10m2 to get a pool that is 7m x 4m. The approx' price I was given was €125-150 per square metre.

Is the basic construction concrete with a lining and non-electric filter-system?

The idea of an eco pool appeals and I have read that the local council wouldn't need to approve one, as it's seen as a pool and not a construction. I'd need to contact Figueiro council for anything i'd consider having.

Look for forward to your reply.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:37 pm 

Hello again,
Yes, you should have at least as much planted area as swimming area. Our pool is about 20m by 10m overall, with a swimming area 14m by 3m. We have mostly followed David Pagan-Butler's design, but are using blocks rather than filled sandbags for the swimming area walls.. Take a look at this link:-
www.organicpools.co.uk/DIY%20Natural%20 ... ersion.pdf
By doing nearly all the work ourselves, but obviously hiring in a digger and driver, I reckon the overall cost will work out at about 9,000 Euros, or 45 per square metre.
Not a trivial task by any means, but a great winter project if you have the time!
Cheers
Graham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:01 am 

This sounds like fun. I have, on my Quinta, a pond/small lake; 32m x 17m x 7m deep. It is filled by it's own spring; from the bottom of the lake and the over flow from the House spring. I had intended to stock it with fish for food. Can one do so and still have a natural swimming pool? Thanks.