Advertisements

Architect Your Home

International Removals

Caravans Wanted

It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 11:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:47 pm 

Hi All,

We've recently bought a house in Moncarapacho near Fuseta and are in the process of fitting kitchens/log burners/aircon etc etc to make it year round viable. The aim is to be spending a good 6/7 months a year there from around 2021 when we plan to retire/take a back seat. In the meantime, we are there around 5/6 times a year.

One of the things I have noticed is that whilst there are a lot of couples (And sadly, widowed females) in their 70's and even 80's around us, who were part of the first wave of ex pats to move to Portugal in the 90's, there don't seem to be too many couples of our age (early/mid 50's) who are part of the new wave of people moving out to Portugal, in our area.

Am I wrong?? Whilst we are learning Portuguese and want to integrate into village life, it would be really nice to develop a social network around our village and area, other couples to meet up with occasionally for drinks, social events etc. Is anyone aware of anything that has been set up locally to help with that or is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:45 am 

Set up your local version of 'Friday Club' which meets first Friday of each month in a local low cost restaurant. Couples take it in turn to organise the next one and let everyone know the location there is an open remit to invite friends. It grows quite fast and is a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:31 am 

Great idea! Thank you. The only issue is that we're not there all of the time at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:40 pm 

Once it gathers momentum it doesn't matter if you miss a few months - those that are there continue as it quickly builds to a few dozen couples/singles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:04 am 

Location: Lincoln mainly, Moncarapacho when I can get away from work
Hi Keith

I too reside in Moncarapacho and am in my mid 50s. If you're at all sporty and enjoy playing football may I suggest you check out the walking football group that run sessions in Olhao and Tavira. I joined up a couple of years ago and have developed a great social life as a result, including dinners/social do's, Xmas parties etc. (including respective other halves as well), and it helps keep me in reasonable shape. Happy to provide more details if needed.

There are also various activities run in the Casa do Povo in the village as well. Neil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:01 am 

Lincolnbaggie wrote:
> Hi Keith
>
> I too reside in Moncarapacho and am in my mid 50s. If you're at all sporty and enjoy
> playing football may I suggest you check out the walking football group that run
> sessions in Olhao and Tavira. I joined up a couple of years ago and have developed
> a great social life as a result, including dinners/social do's, Xmas parties etc.
> (including respective other halves as well), and it helps keep me in reasonable
> shape. Happy to provide more details if needed.
>
> There are also various activities run in the Casa do Povo in the village as well.
> Neil

Thanks Neil! We've seen the events in the Casa de Povo (I'm not sure I'm up for Scottish country dancing!) and my wife fancies the yoga sessions. I'd be interested in the football. It'd be nice to show a Baggie another lesson this season.........(I'm a Bolton fan, for my sins) :-)