Advertisements

International Relocation

International Removals

Caravans Wanted

It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 11:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:25 pm 

We are looking for a good home for "Poppy " our dog.
She is a lovely dog with a gentle nature, used to small children and gets on well with other dogs.
She seldom barks and is used to living outdoors and curling up by the fire during the winters.
We had her as a single dog and found when she was left alone; she would sometimes wander off and play with local dogs - always coming back - but not something that I am happy about.
She had a litter of pups - 7 months ago and we have ended up keep a few - I am concerned that if she wanders off and takes the pups with her they will get used to doing that too.
Photo available on request.
Poppy is a lovely natured, strong and healthy dog and would make someone a wonderful companion, she a walks on lead and listens both on and off the lead, travels well and even goes swimming with us.
Thanks for looking

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:20 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Mac12.

I have been sitting on my hands since reading your post but I can no longer contain myself and feel compulsed to ask why poor Poppy has to be rehomed. You speak so fondly of her, but don’t you love her enough to want to keep her, and to fence off (part of) your property so she can’t roam the streets? Her pups (how many is “a few”?) will roam too, especially if they are not sterilised. Years ago an abandoned doggy made it quite clear she needed to move in with me and from day one I knew she was with me for life and I quickly arranged for my garden to have a fence, and for Tadusca to be sterilised as soon as her pups were born (when she moved in she was already pregnant). Tadusca died 3 years later (old age) and I could never part from the 2 pups I kept. Just had to get this off my chest... sorry....

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:41 am 

Thank you for reading my ad and your subsequent reply.

We do have a section of our property fenced off where Poppy needs to be kept, but feel she would have a far better home with someone wanting a companion, and in the right environment / home she would not need to be locked up at all.

I do respect your views and need to reply and hope you are able to offer me the same understanding.

All the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:03 pm 

I’m afraid I was thinking the same way as Fleureshi. I don’t think Fleureshi was suggesting a small ‘pound’ type area, where Poppy is effectively locked up, but a securely fenced area of your garden where she can roam freely and safely. That’s not too much for Poppy to ask, is it? And I’m afraid I must give another plea for sterilisation of all of them - there’s no shortage of dogs in Portugal, not even pedigrees(and I can’t imagine the pups are pedigree...). In fact, I’m baffled that any responsible dog owner doesn’t neuter their best friend in this day and age. But ok if you just want to move her on. Hopefully there’s a wonderful home out there for her, and hopefully you will fully satisfy yourself that her next home will be that wonderful home. One wouldn’t be able to sleep at night, otherwise, I imagine.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:37 pm 

Mac & Mabel are correct. I was indeed not suggesting a small ‘pound’ type area, where Poppy is effectively locked up, but a nice bit of garden (does not have to be enormous) for Poppy and her pups to play, sunbathe, sleep, stretch their legs.

If you really don’t want to keep Poppy that saddens me but of course that is your business and hopefully you will find someone who will really love and cherish her.

But that still leaves her pups. Dogs are curious/adventurous by nature so they will want to roam too. I am surprised that by the sound of it they don’t leave your property now. I don’t know if they are male or female (or both) but if you don’t sterilise/castrate them they will go looking for dalliances. As Mac & Mabel said, there are so many unwanted/abandoned/unloved dogs (and cats) already so please don’t add more puppies to what is a big problem in this country. Your neighbours will not care about their bitches getting pregnant but the fate of the pups is grim (in most cases). If you have a bitch suitors will pop by for nookie when she is on heat, and then you will have (another) litter. Maybe where you are the problem of abandoned/chained dogs is not so evident but if you are on Facebook check out pages called “Animais abandonados” and your heart will break. Googling the same term will also show you how big a problem this is. Or research “animais acorrentados”. It is the only thing I don’t like about living in this country. Although things are (very) slowly getting better....

I am at the moment fostering a Portuguese neighbour’s dog while their house is being built. She is now sterilised but it took some convincing. I explained that when she was on heat I could not take her to the beach/woods and I didn’t even leave her in the garden unsupervised in case randy dogs jumped the fence. I really stuck to my guns because my biggest worry was that when she goes back to her family, they won’t be equally vigilant/protective. After pleading Fofinha’s case and showing various documents about why pets should be sterilised, her owner agreed. I was worried they would change their mind (they have a very spoilt young daughter who no doubt would have loved more puppies) so thanks to my wonderful vet, Fofinha was sterilised the very next day.

I discovered that not all foreigners/expats/immigrants are aware of the plight of animals in Portugal.... hence the sermon..... sermon over....