Advertisements

Storage Express

Pure Portugal

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 am 

Bom Dia,

We have sent around 6 contact e mails to solicitadors listed on the website solicitadors.net but we have had no replies and this is over a week now.

Any advice on how to make contact with property legal representatives in the Leiria district would be gratefully received.

We would like to test how good their English is and get some ideas regarding fees and services in relation to buying a house.

Would it be better to make some phone calls?

Obrigado

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:20 pm 

Hiya,

I'm afraid the non-response to initial contact is not uncommon. We found the same with Estate Agents - of the 20 or so agents we tried to get details from when we were looking for a house, only about 5 made any real attempt to respond. This was when we made direct contact via their published email address or via contact forms on their websites.

I assume you are trying to do this from afar, so personal visits are not possible. If you feel confident with the language, then a direct telephone call is probably the best approach.

Do a search on Google, and then from the resultant map/links take a look at any websites the companies have and select a few that cover what you want and look "professional".

I'm afraid I can't give any recommendations, but perhaps people who have bought in the Leiria district might be able to help. Can you narrow down your search area at all - the Leiria district is quite large.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:35 pm 

Are you anywhere near Pombal, Stephen? If you like I can give you the contact details for the lawyer I used when buying my house. He is Portuguese and totally fluent in Dutch as he grew up in the Netherlands. Being Dutch myself I never tested his command of English but I am quite sure that he will be more than Ok in that language too.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:42 pm 

I would like to add that I only met my lawyer in person after my move to Portugal. I had given him power of attorney so he did all the official stuff on my behalf. When I arrived he had also organised phone/internet, electricity, etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:49 pm 

Another thought - and I know this goes against the Golden Rule of NOT using a solicitor recommended by an estate agent - but seeing as you are not at that stage yet, you could try contacting estate agents in the areas you are looking (they will be easier to find on the web than solicitors/advogados), and asking them for contact details of solicitors in the area. Just be sure that when you do come to buy a house, the person you chose is not the tame solicitor of the estate agent/seller you are buying off.

This does assume that the estate agents do actually get back to you...

Steve