Advertisements

Storage Express

Montis

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:52 pm 

Hello

My wife and I are US Citizens and have visited there several times. I am retiring at the end of this year and we want to go live in Portugal for 1 year as tourists. We are not planning to make a permanent move and apply for resident status. Does anyone know how we might be able to extend the typical tourist stay from 90 days to 360 days? Or is that even possible?

Thanks in advance!
Jon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:15 pm 

A quick search on the internet provides the following.
Portuguese immigration policy also includes several international agreements with non-EU countries, for example, the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, which allows such nationals to enter and stay in Portugal for 90 days within a six-month period (180 days) without needing any visa for Portugal. A list of countries that require a Portuguese visa to enter Portugal can be found here.

Non-EU/EFTA nationals who wish to stay longer than three months, however, will need to apply for a long-term visa or Portuguese residency visa before arriving, which allows them to apply for a Portuguese residence permit after arrival. Those who fit into this category include those who work, the self-employed, students, those intending to live off savings, retired people and family members.

So in order to stay for more than 90 days you must apply to the Portuguese Embassy for a Visa.

Profile   WWW