Advertisements

Storage Express

Montis

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:55 am 

Hello dear Forumcators

At last the time has come to officially announce that we have new owners for Expats Portugal! After a long process of consideration, Gerry Lawler (gwlawler) has now taken possession!

Gerry is an ex-CEO of British extraction, who once lived in the Algarve but is now around Tomar. He has lots of energy and enthusiasm, a good sense of humour and some proper business sense! I really think he'll bring the commitment and imagination to reinvigorate the sites and launch them into the future.

To back him up, and already working feverishly on the socials, is Astrid Fernandes (astridff). Astrid swears she's an Australian, from Melbourne, but with a name like that, I'll have to hear her say 'fair dinkum' before I believe it. Fernandes is her marido's name, so hopefully we can depend on Astrid to translate not just words but all manner of cultural differences. I declare no patriotic bias in Astrid's appointment!

It's a bit sad to hand the baby over (well, it's more of a surly adolescent than a baby) but I think Simon would approve of this solid choice, knowing his project is in safe hands. There was an overwhelming response to my callout for interest, and I felt honoured by the calibre, talent and integrity of the applicants.

It's the end of an era, and the beginning of a new one. I'll let Gerry and Astrid introduce their plans, but I know you can expect consideration and consultation along the way. There will be a much needed upgrade to the forum, and interesting changes with the sister sites.

I've renamed this category of the forum, to celebrate its transition, honour its longevity, pay homage to Simon the Great Omnipotent Forum Master, and remember the members and all the great threads that made Expats more than just a source of info, but a fun place to hang out. Thanks to you, Forumcators!

See you at the Forumcators Inn. Drinks are on me!

lots of love
Mrs Spownall, nee goatperson
always, emma

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:45 am 

Indeed the end of an era, dear Emma, but of course I will join you in wishing Astrid and Gerry good luck with this wonderful forum. This immigrant no longer needs advice on a daily basis but I remember the times when I did bug people very regularly with great affection.

I will join you in the Forumcator's Inn for a farewell/good luck beverage. Mine's a bucket of white wine and sweet Mao will have some cat milk.

Here's to the future and fond memories of our very much missed Omnipotent Forum Master, Simon. Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:20 am 

Hi Emma

Yes the end of an era and the start of a new one for Gerry and Astrid.

I was lucky to have met Simon at the market in Miranda do Corvo and after a short chat he had to go of to find His wife, but a good memory.

Your knowledge from your time living here and your Blog would/still is of great value to many on this Forum.

I hope you have the time to continue to use the Forum as there may be someone out there who needs just the advice you can give.

Good luck Emma and also good luck Gerry and Astrid

Peter

This Blog is for information only
http://Iberianspices.blogspot.pt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:59 pm 

Following the announcement from Emma (she who must be obeyed), we are delighted to introduce ourselves as the proud new owners of expatsportugal.com.
My name is Gerry Lawler and my business partner is Astrid Fernandes. Emma has already given you our background, so we won’t bore you with repetition except to say that we are both committed to expatsportugal.com and we both fully embrace the lifestyle here in Portugal.

We would like to say a big thank you to Emma who has done a sterling job in maintaining the site since Simon’s unfortunate and sad passing and we hope our efforts will continue the excellent ethos created by Simon and that lady who must be obeyed.

We are in the process of developing and designing an entirely new site where amongst other things, we will add much more content, make the site more user friendly so that it is accessible by smartphone and tablet and make it more interesting and meaningful so that you will want to visit again and again. Because of the work required, it will take about 3 months before we can launch the new version. The forum, the main feature of the site will of course be maintained and hopefully enhanced.

However, before we start to add detail and content to this new site, we would like to hear from you. We absolutely recognise the value of our members and we are very keen to learn your views, in terms of what’s good and not so good and what else would you like to see on the site. We will shortly issue a membership survey and give everybody a chance to have their say. Once the survey is complete, we will publish the results and demonstrate how we will incorporate your suggestions into the new site.

In the meantime, thanks for the good wishes and please don’t hesitate to contact myself at gerry@expatsportugal.com or Astrid at astrid@expatsportugal.com for any questions or suggestions you might have.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:34 pm 

Good luck to you both, Gerry and Astrid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:14 pm 

Just to say carry on the good work... more of the same? The supportive and inclusive culture has much to commend this site. Thank you both for taking this on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:21 am 
Site Admin

So happy to be here and can't wait to contribute to such an amazing group of people. My name is Astrid, an Australian living in Portugal since 2012. I am married to a Portuguese guy hence my surname. We live in Lisbon but also have a Quinta in Castelo de Vide. Feel free to contact me with anything you may have that could be of interest to post on our Facebook page - send me a private message with details. I am looking for interesting stories, events and fact about Portugal so please share. Take care for now :)

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:33 am 

astridff wrote:
> So happy to be here and can't wait to contribute to such an amazing group
> of people. My name is Astrid, an Australian living in Portugal since 2012.
> I am married to a Portuguese guy hence my surname. We live in Lisbon but
> also have a Quinta in Castelo de Vide. Feel free to email me anytime with
> anything you may have that could be of interest to post on our Facebook
> page - my contact is astrid@expatsportugal.com. I am looking for
> interesting stories, events and fact about Portugal so please share. Take
> care for now :)

Hi Astridff

Welcome to this great Forum. However the internet is full of Bots and people who are up to no good. I would suggest asking for people to send a Private message instead of putting an email address for these creepy people to get and use for no good.

At this moment there are 4 bots looking at this site but how many can't be seen.

Peter

This Blog is for information only
http://Iberianspices.blogspot.pt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the tip Peter. Have updated as per your suggestion. Astrid

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:14 pm 

Wishing all the best to the new Owners ( not to mention thanks indeed to the former owner/s ).

My only real suggestion would be to permit people to post classified ads without hindrance.

I have never understood the rationale behind making them taboo.

Even if a small charge is levied the facility to post and read small ads would be a useful improvement.

Personally I am not a great fan of making everything suitable for smartphones - can't people wait till they're back home to check out websites such as this one ? What's the rush ?

Anyway, just my two happorth.

Boa Sorte !