Advertisements

Storage Express

Montis

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:12 pm 

I have the pink residency card which is valid until 2024 - I've just read online about a citizen's card for foreign residents. I can't seem to find any concrete information on this - has it actually come into effect and do all my family members need to get one? Does it replace the resident card? If so, can we wait for our current cards to expire?

A slightly different question, my daughter was born here in Portugal and she is registered here. She has the residency card which expires soon, but last year she got the citizen's card (for Portuguese citizens). Am I correct in assuming she doesn't need to renew her residency card?

Thank you!

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:06 pm 

I have seen reports that there will be a card similar to a Citizens card, made available to foreigners, instead of the (in my case brown) Residents card. I recently had to obtain a new passport, and as the old number is on my Residents card, I thought I would apply for a new one. Initially I had two problems, as you may be aware you have to book an appointment to renew at SEF. I tried without success to contact them by phone over a period of about a month. I also tried as the website suggests, to make a booking over the Internet. The site would not recognise the number on my card.
Eventually I got an answer on the phone. I was told that I would not get a new one until mine expires (2023). They were not interested in the passport number change. So no nice new card for me!
It is worth noting that the answer you get here depends entirely on the person you are talking to.
It might be worth having a go. Please let us know if you get a new one.

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:02 pm 

Looking at the articles online about the new foreigners citizen card, they all date from mid 2018, when it was announced. There doesn't appear to be any more news on this topic, which suggests that it's been delayed. Not a surprise in Portugal!

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:29 pm 

Can you please post a link to one or more of these announcements. A Portuguese version would probably be better.
The plastic version of the the residence card, which was described as having the same format as the citizens card, was announced around that time.
Thanks
Alan

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:34 pm 

Here's one from June 2018, saying the new card is part of the "Simplex 2018" program for simplifying bureaucracy:
https://eco.sapo.pt/2018/06/06/simplex2 ... migrantes/

And SEF posted in January 2019 saying the new card is being rolled out, for those with over 5 years residency:
https://www.sef.pt/pt/pages/noticia-sef.aspx?nID=633

While we're on the subject of officialdom etc., has anyone registered for the "Chave Móvel Digital" system. Access to the SNS Portal is now only available through this CMD service, but I've drawn a blank in registering online for one - it looks like foreigners can only get one through an Espaço Cididão or an IRN office, which generally means a long wait. If anyone has managed to do it online I love to hear how.

Ta,

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:18 pm 

I signed up for a CMD and did so at my local Espaço Cididão. For a foreigner, it must be done in person. A caveat is that it is only valid for as long as the passport it is linked to, so when the passport expires it expires also (mine expires in March!). I was told that a completely new CMD must then be applied for in the same way - no abbreviated renewal process.

While it does mean a wait while it's issued, it later allows some online activity that otherwise is impossible.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:20 am 

From this it seems that the citizens card for foreigners is the plastic version of the permanent residency card. It does not do everything that was promised in https://eco.sapo.pt/2018/06/06/simplex2 ... migrantes/.
Assuming that Boris does not throw the toys out of the pram and announce a no deal Brexit, this should apply. https://www.portaldiplomatico.mne.gov.p ... xit_EN.PDF

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:02 am 

From what does it seem that the citizens card for foreigners doesn't do everything that was promised in that link?

I don't think anyone who's commented here has one yet, do they?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:58 am 

We got ours courtesy of SEF in Santarem when we went to advise them of our change of address in February last year.

Has NIF, Social Security & SNS numbers on it as well. Very useful as saves having to carry lots of different info with on!

Profile   WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:43 pm 

Correction, I was under the impression that the plastic card did not have NIF and SNS on it. Barlaventoexpert has put me straight.
My old paper card has another 3 years to run, but my citizenship application may get completed by then. ;)
Alan

Profile   WWW