Advertisements

Storage Express

Pure Portugal

dog kennels condeixa

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Car Hire
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:43 pm 

I've been 'stung' by a couple of car rental firms now whilst visiting Portugal and I need to get more 'clued up' - Has anyone used a car hire company recently in the Algarve or does anyone have any advice on who to use, and probably more importantly who NOT to use. Also, what hidden fees are applicable for Portuguese car hire as I have found that every country has different hidden 'extras'. Any advice would be most welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:55 pm 

We always use Economy Car Hire www.economycarhire.com - they are partnered with a number of Portugese rental companies - we usually have a car from "Drive4Fun," and we always deal with the same guy at the airport (Faro.)

The cost is all in with no excess, the only things not covered are damage to glass and tyres (I think.) They only take an imprint of your credit card and don't hold any money. We have called their office before with queries (today in fact to extend the rental on the Seat Ibiza we have currently) and they answer the phone straight away and are very helpful.

B

http://movingtoportugal.wordpress.com

Profile   WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:18 am 

In the Algarve, I have over the years almost always used Luzcar, who are based in Lagos, and also have an airport depot.

Their list prices are generally slightly higher than the rest, but, and this is a big but, prices are all inclusive, including second driver and insurance for Spain, as far as Seville. If you do want to go to Spain with the car make sure to tell them, as you need a second triangle, a second reflective jacket.

You can ask for further CDW insurance it you want. Also for Group C cars and above they may ask for a 50% credit card deposit on picking up the car.

For their latest prices see:

http://www.lagoscarhire.com/

Alternatively, you can contact them by email at email@luzcar.com. You can say you were referred by Sr. Chris.

I used one of there VW Polo last week to go to Seville and earlier this year, one of their VW Sharans which they provided as a sponsor for our annual Lagos-based Classical Dance Easter school event Dance Algarve 2009. http://www.dancaiberica.org/

They look after their clients and generally the vehicles are in good nick.

Profile   WWW  

Post subject: Carhire
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:14 pm 

We always use Zitauto, website is www.zitautorentacar.co.uk

Very reliable and inexpensive

Post subject: Re: Carhire
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:28 pm 

eugenemcardle wrote:
We always use Zitauto, website is www.zitautorentacar.co.uk

Very reliable and inexpensive

I have also heard good things about them. At least two of my neighbours use them and have good things to say about them.

Profile   WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:46 pm 

I have just noticed on economycarhire.com that they are not naming the companies for cars available. Not their normal procedure, wonder why. I for one will not book with them unless I know the companies name, ie drive4fun, travel rent, rentauto, as some companies they use like International & Auriga Crown & AirAuto seem to have had lots of complaints. Maybe this is the reason they are not naming any, which to me is very very naughty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:24 pm 

Jayjan wrote:
I have just noticed on economycarhire.com that they are not naming the companies for cars available. Not their normal procedure, wonder why. I for one will not book with them unless I know the companies name, ie drive4fun, travel rent, rentauto, as some companies they use like International & Auriga Crown & AirAuto seem to have had lots of complaints. Maybe this is the reason they are not naming any, which to me is very very naughty.

That's worrrying - I'm sure they used to mention them as we always flipped between Drive4Fun and TravelRent - both excellent and offering the insurance mentioned by notlongnow above.

We had a bad experience with AirAuto and now keep well clear of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:50 pm 

itsmeagain wrote:
Jayjan wrote:

That's worrrying - I'm sure they used to mention them as we always flipped between Drive4Fun and TravelRent - both excellent and offering the insurance mentioned by notlongnow above.

AirAuto have had a bad name for at least 2 years.

Lots of complaints about them on other Forums dealing with the Algarve

Profile   WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:27 pm 

Been into the economycarhire website again and you have to click book against the car or price you have chosen, it then throws up another page which in the bottom left hand corner it tells you the Hire car company name. I still think this is naughty, hiding the name on the quote page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:50 pm 

barlaventoexpert wrote:
itsmeagain wrote:
Jayjan wrote:

AirAuto have had a bad name for at least 2 years.

Lots of complaints about them on other Forums dealing with the Algarve

Didn't realise that AirAuto had a reputation. In some ways it is a consolation that I am not alone, I suppose!